why would the coolant loose temp when driving but get warm when sitting

20

Asked by Nov 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM about the Plymouth Breeze

i have a 97 plymouth breeze that when driving the car the water temp goes down and when it just sits and idles it will warm up slowly

well there is Airflow through the radiator...coolin' off the show there~ when you are sitting there is not much airflow (unless equipped with electric fans will come on when the coolant temp gets to be 195)~ You may just want to change the thermostat to a 205 rather than the 195....will make the engine have to get HOTTER before the coolant loop opens up~

18,525

electric fans run only when temp reaches above 160 f ,makes airflow, when driving you have airflow, you have no stat in the engine or stuck open

20

I put a brand new fail safe in it already and it still does it. Also it tkes a while to warm up just idling to.

40

I've got a 1998 Breeze (currently at 122K Miles) and had similar issues. Always use dealer parts. I went through 3 thermostats before I tried a Chrysler one, and the Chrysler one was the ticket. Also, do a coolant flush at least once a year. When you get the flush done, also have the heater core flushed. It will make a difference. My car usually runs on the cool side during the winter months.

Unsure