Water leaking in behind glove box?

60

Asked by May 08, 2012 at 07:02 PM about the Pontiac Vibe

60

I had a minivan that did this and there were drain holes below the windshield that were clogged with dirt, once I found them and unplugged water came rushing out. Just can't find the drain holes on the vibe.

1,365

If it's coming from under dashboard behind glove box, make sure it is in fact water and not coolant. A lot of car's heater cores are behind the dash board and if a line breaks, it will leak into cabin. If the water is coming UP from the floor rather than dripping down from the dash board, there are drain plugs underneath the carpeting all over the bottom of the car to drain water if the cabin is submerged or has similar incident. If a plug rots out or comes out, water from the road will come into the vehicle. Finally, one more option: If this only happens when the Air conditioning is on and it's warm outside, a lot of cars will accumulate condensation along the air ducts and other related components and it will drip off onto your legs and feet. Hopefully one of those helps. Otherwise it'll probably be something more serious.

90

Make sure the hose from the blower under the dash behind the glove box is connected too.

190

I have the same problem. After a heavy rain, I can hear the water sloshing back and forth behind the glove compartment. Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what did you do?

120

On the Vibe in my case it is coming from the bottom of the blower unit, where the fan metal plate joins the plastic blower enclosure. It has a gasket around it and if I pry it with my fingers it leaks. The is a serious problem as it was leaking all over the engine control unit. Could the drain holes be clogged in mine and be sending wated inside the vehicle? Does this gasket mean it is meant to handle moisture like this?

200

After it rains, I can hear a "shushing" noise behind my dash when I make a hard turn. There is also a lot of water leaking out on the passenger side. It did this earlier in the summer and shorted out my fan. I replaced the fan and my cracked windshield. Now that it is raining again, the noise and leaking has started again. Any ideas?

30

Hi, my 2009 Vibe had water/fluid sloshing out the dash, from the back of the hump. It was mostly on really hot days, running the AC. I complained just before the 36k warranty ran out or just after. It was a hose that wasn't formed properly. Dealer said hoses weren't covered by the warranty, but I think I must have gave them a look that said, bullshit. Made the argument that if the hoses weren't made properly they should be covered. The dealer replaced it without charge.

120

I'd said this is a recall situation. Thanks for your input. I'll be looking for malformed hoses if it happens again.

10

In a Vibe (used to own one) If someone is tall they can pull the drain hose off under the glove box. Easy fix. Now I own a chevy traverse and it is doing it also, however it is buckets of water. Haven't figured out a fix yet. Here is a link on the vibe issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1C0GbYjErk

I had the same problem with my Nissan Pathfinder 2012, got it checked with the dealership cause still have warranty on it, they said the truck is not clogged as guess but the high humidity is the possibility for the cause.

problem solved on my 2007 matrix water was leaking in my heat casing when it rained . the fix under neath the passenger side fender pull down the fender weld above the tire you will find two drain holes for the cowl mine was full of leaves caused water to go in the top of blower cleaned out no more leaks allso we drilled holes out bigger