Building a beast with a SuperCharged Grand Prix GTP

10

Asked by Apr 15, 2015 at 08:05 PM about the Pontiac Grand Prix

Ok looking for some input here. They have a few bump and run races here that are on dirt
tracks, its usually at the county fair. Have done demo derbies before but never one of
these. Watched a few races last year and was hooked. The time for buying a car is
coming quick. A lot of the cars that run these races are cavaliers, monte carlo's stuff like
that. Specs are has to be front wheel drive and a v-6. So I have found a few gaps for sale
in my price range 750-1000. What should I do to make it a beast?? I can do a lot of
welding etc..... on the body and thats great but really want to make this thing just rip. My
logic is that right now that car is putting out 240ish hp while a cavalier is at what like 150
hp? maybe so let me know what you think

3,865

In terms of horsepower I think you'll pretty well outclass most other cars with a GTP right out of the box. I probably wouldn't get too carried away with engine mods. Do a bit of research on the Pontiac Grand Prix forums and check out performance parts at ZZ Performance. If I were doing it I would put on a somewhat smaller pulley on the supercharger, make sure the plastic elbows to the heater core have been changed for metal ones and call it race ready in the mechanical department.

10

Yeah thanks for the input, read a few other questions and answers on the forum. Basically I want to make a fast car that has enough power to push other cars out of the way also. I know the 3.8 are pretty baller proof motors. How much room is there in the engine compartment from the inner fender to the super charger? I saw a few pics and it looks kinda close. I am sure I can make some sort of protector around it. Gonna find some mud tires for it. Did any year gtp have a hand e-brake? Think I could rig one up but if I can find a year that already has it would be a little easier.

3,865

I went and checked my '03. There's actually lots of room between inner fender and the supercharger pulley and belt. There is a fuse box between them though and the battery as well. If you can relocate them both you'll be fine. The fuse box for sure is likely to get crushed between fender and engine. A little guarding around the belts and pulleys won't hurt, but check the rules. They may not allow that.

10

Ok so fast forward to 2 nights ago the car is done and I have run it in a few races so far. I am getting a nasty bog at low end. There is almost no power. Then all of a sudden there is mid range power. Go into the next turn, no low end power again then it kicks in at mid range. Anyone have any thoughts on what might cause it? When I first start it up it runs really rough and stalls. Keep my foot on the gas and it runs fine.