Why won't my car start?

15

Asked by Dec 20, 2014 at 07:27 PM about the Pontiac Grand Prix

In November, I had my engine replaced with a used one because of spark plug issues.
A couple weeks later, I had starting issues so I replaced my starter. Thought the issue
was resolved, but it wasn't. Got to the point where the only way my car would run is if it
was jumpstarted. I had my car jumpstarted so I could go to NTB last week. They said I
needed a new battery, but since I couldn't afford one, they charged my battery for an
hour free of charge. The guy felt bad for me. The battery lasted about a day before it
was dead. Called AAA yesterday to have my car jumpstarted at work. He told me that I
needed a new battery. My car kept it's charge for a few hours. Today my dad took out
my battery and switched it with his, but nothing happened. My car's completely dead. I
had a couple people tell me it was the alternator, but since my car ran after jumpstarts,
I ignored that theory. I was thinking it was an ignition switch issue. Anybody have any
ideas?

66,575

More than likely is,the alternator,not charging correctly,that may be why it killed your battery,and would not run with your dad,s,,have alternator checked,some alternator,s that are bad will charge until the voltage regulator built in to it get,s hot,while cool,will charge battery for short period,but if you continue to run it,it will kill a new battery,

25,195

If you live near an Autozone, Advance, or O'Reilly/Pep boys they will test your alternator for you. Your symptoms would indicate a potential problem with the alternator, it's not charging the battery and that is why your battery is dying. Those same stores can also test your battery as well, provided it's charged. If it's not, they can put a charge on it and then test, but you'll have to leave it with them. (BTW the alternator doesn't play any role in starting a car, it's role is to keep the battery charged by turning engine RPMs into electrical energy for the charging system - without it, the battery will eventually drain.)

15

Thank you for the advice. My dad just assumed his battery would work, and that the car would start right away. But it didn't since it's completely dead. I don't even think he tried jumpstarting it after he installed the battery. So I'm not even sure it'll start with jumper cables. If I do get it started, I'll definitely bring it to Advance Auto to have them check out the car.

15

So my dad worked on the car today. I asked him if he jumped the car at all since he installed the battery and he said no. So he jump started the car, but it stalled. He connected the jumper cables to different grounds, and it started at pretty much all of them. My dad ended up filing down the ring terminals to copper, and reconnected them to the battery. Started up the car again and it stayed running. He checked the alternator and it was charging at 14-15 volts. So it had nothing to do with the alternator or battery. His friend was the one who told him it was probably a wiring issue, and it was.