2006 Grand Prix GT loses all electrical and the engine randomly shuts off

20

Asked by Oct 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM about the Pontiac Grand Prix

I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 85,000 miles, 3.8 TC. For the last two months the car sometimes loses all electrical and the engine shuts off as if you removed the battery. The main ground to the motor has good continuity. This has happened at idle, low and high speeds. Recently the car had no power and I had to unlock it manually. It will start right back up, and I will not have a problem for a day or a week. The battery is good in the car and not codes are showing. The only constant that has been seen by me or my wife is that when it is having an "episode" the cruise control will not work.

5,470

sounds to me like your emc is going to hell. Plus check the body grounds and the positive cable connection

5,470

Try this first take the nagative cable off and make sure all connections are clean and conectected good that includes your positife conetions all so. also is the bat light or gauge showing any thing?

20

Where are all the body grounds located at? Maybe I missed one. Also, I have already removed and cleaned the positive battery terminal.

5,470

ussaly on the fire wall or the iner fender well or the frame

105,915

I agree with checking and cleaning all battery connections. Make sure they are all tight. Also make sure that the negative connections on the frame and motor are also clean and tight. Inspect all cable ends for signs of fraying.

20

Here is the follow up to the car since I THINK it is fixed. I checked over the main grounds again with a multi-meter and gave them a good pull. The lug that is attached to the chassis ground under the battery was a little corroded. I unbolted the ground and the car lost all power. I then cleaned the lug real well and sanded all the paint off on the fender wall where the lug attaches. After rebolting the ground I used some touch up paint for the bare metal. Yes, the lug was bolted on top of a painted surface. So far, so good. Thanks again for the advice.

sweet im gonna try that to then..my 2006 is doing same thing frustrating