Check Engine Light Flashes & ticks at same time

Asked by Mar 07, 2014 at 03:57 PM about the Pontiac 6000

Driving my car and out of the blue it starts to chug, sputter, then it stalled out. I put it
in neutral started it again, it started but again stalled out again. The check engine light
comes on and it flashes fast over & over, along with a ticking noise that leads to 5
relay switches in front of pass side headlight. But! While it is doing this the electric fan
comes on then will go off, this keeps happening speratically , then it will stop
completely, the chk engine light goes off and it idles smooth. I put it in Drive and fine.
Then it will start doing the same thing, no real set amount of time some shorter, longer
. . . what is this ?

Sorry I forgot to put the make/model/ year for the question above. It is 1991 Pontiac 6000 le 3.1 L 4 door sedan EFI -throtle body I believe.