How long should it take to replace head gasket on olds ssilhouette

Asked by Oct 17, 2014 at 03:41 PM about the Oldsmobile Silhouette

20,190

Are you going to try to do this yourself(2-5 days), or have a mechanic do it (1-2 days)? It depends if the heads are bad or not. You will want to send the heads to a machine shop to make sure they're not cracked.

If you have never done a head gasket job, plan on a weekend. Lots of bending at the waist, and that gets old fast. Don't even start without a decent tool set including torque wrench. Find all torque specs for everything first, then you won't have to stop every time you re-assemble something. The first thing you do is smash your knuckles and be done with that. Have pans to collect fluids, please dispose properly. And that bracket and bolt left over is normal, that stuff appears in the coffee can by magic.

Hi Ya TransAm...Excellent call. I forgot that

20,190

What's up fordnut? I've have several and I mean several, Montana's and Silhouettes over the years. I've had a few with bad intake and head gaskets. Intakes I've tackled I just won't do head gaskets myself, for all the reasons you described above. (I like the smashing knuckles and the magic coffee can parts.)