starter now drawing

5

Asked by Oct 15, 2014 at 03:33 PM about the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale

1993 OLDS 88 3.8L
car running really ruff (like missing on a few cylinders) so replaced plugs and wires.
restarted the car still the same but i seen a spark jumping from the #6 tower  to the
alternator bracket.i check it out pushed the wire back down. restarted still the same
spark and ruff idol i see a new spark coming from the #2 and #6 towers. removed coils
and  ignition control module looked for broken wires what ever else i could think of
found the two towers have cracks in them i will be replacing them. this is the problem i
need to move the car so put it all back together   put some rubber stuff to act as a little
buffer go to try to start it, acting like a hard start no clicking just a winding electric
draw. i jump started it with the same out come. i let it charge for a few mins. it took a
good 10 sec to start  but it still ruff and smelly. after moving it, i tried to restart and its
the same. i am going to replace the two coils, but why is the starter winding and
drawing like that any help you can offer i will be grateful.

9,325

normally this is caused by the starter gear not making contact with the fly wheel. Your starter is either not pushing the gear out or your fly wheel has missing teeth or vice versa the gear on the starter is worn out. this can also be caused by a not solid connection on the starter positive or negative.