how much a year does a mitsubushi evo take to maintain

25

Asked by Dec 07, 2009 at 12:47 AM about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

how much does it cost yearly to run one of these cars

85

It always depends how you gonna treat it. My Evo9 is my DD (daily driving) car, 24K a year and I do most of the maintenance job for it, like oil change, tires rotation, and cleaning the air intake filter for every 3000 miles ( 1 1/2 months ). Thats only the basic maintenance for these cars. You'll probably spending like 30-40 bucks for that service. There are some more maintenance services for these car, the 15K, 30K, and 60K service which is kinda hard if you dont know what you're doing but the best way is go to the forums like socalevo.net, norcalevo.net and evolutionm.com. There are some cool and nice people there and they can help you and you'll learn on same time. Hope my answer helps you out about your question, and if you have more question, feel free to ask me and I will try my best to help you out.

35

I had an Evo 8 ('05), which I drove as a daily driver. The thing with Evo's is that everything is a name brand, so replacement costs are high! I got my breaks done and spent over $2k for all four. I've paid over $1k for tires. Oil changes need to occur more often because of the high amount of boost the turbo runs on. I would say, for a safe anual cost, I would figure $1000.00 Because like all cars, there always seems to be something you can (if not NEED) to replace/repair. Depending on your financial situation, I would say an Evo is WELL worth the maintenance expenses tho. The car is absolutely the most fun I have ever had driving!

5

If you don't modify the Evo, the cost of maintenance is really manageable. Cost for an oil change will be higher than normal because the Evo uses synthetic oil so expect to pay anywhere between $50 to $100 for this service. Cost for a brake pad change is also really affordable as long as you don't go with factory/dealership brake pads and rotors. Affordable and great performing brake pads can be had for about $100-$200 for front and rear brake pads. The only other maintenance item worthy of note is a driveline fluid flush which consists of the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and rear differential fluid which should run between $150-$250. Tires can be expensive so when it comes time to replace them, look for cheaper, longer lasting, but well performing alternatives to the stock Yokohamas. When you speak of maintenance on an Evo, the most important thing to remember is to be diligent with maintenance schedule. If there is something with the Evo that needs to be addressed, do not put it off - take care of the small issues before they become big ones. If you follow this simple rule, the Evo will be very reliable and reward you with enduring driving joy.

20

It all depends on how smart you are with your maintenace... If you can teach yourself to do your own oil changes you'll save a ton... At the Dealer you will pay $75 every 3-4 months if you drive 12,000 - 14,000 miles per year. I am not a car expert but if you look around You will find a ton of good advice on forums like www.evolutionm.net I buy my Mobil 1 Oil at Walmart for about $20 and pay $9 at the Mitsu Dealer for an Oil filter. Therefore, my oil changes cost $29 plus 30 mins of my time.... For the first 30,000 you just need to rotate the tires change your brakes and do reg. oil changes to keep the car running in tip top condition...

20

Alos, EVO's eat up brake pads for breakfast! So, as others pointed out learning to change your pads is a worthwhile effort and will save you $100's of dollars. Also, I replaced my Brembo pads with Hawk HPS pads and they are much quieter and much cheaper!!! All around a better deal.

255

did you need a different caliper for those pads? and whered you find them?

35

No you don't need a different caliper. They make pads for the stock brembos. Hawk HPS pads are good and so are magik pads. Noise and brake dust are issues that I had with the stock pads.

255

Gotta get them online or at a place like AdvancedAuto?

35

Most definately online look around on Evolutionm.net you will learn alot. Here is a link to mellonracing they sell magic pads by girodisc http://www.mellonracing.com/index.php? main_page=product_info&cPath=18_47&products_id=406

255

Thanks

45

Don't get the HPS they don't brake as well as the stock pads although they do produce less dust. Get the HP Plus if you want a Hawk Pad it is as good or slightly better than stock. The Ferodo DS2500 is a huge improvement in stopping power and dust about the same as stock also fwiw. I run them on my X now and love them