1999 Mitsubishi spyder can't pump fuel at the pump-keeps shutting off

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 09:13 PM about the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

pump keeps stopping at about 1/2 gallon when pumping gas-other sights state
to look at hoses near the canister-mechanic states canister is inside the fuel
tank and is going to start tearing that down tomorrow

17,075

I just wanted to post this so it may help someone else out who has this problem. My 05 2500 hd silverado had a check engine light on, which when read by a scanner said "evap, large leak" So I ignored it and continued to drive it. Then recently I would stop to fill er up and the tank wouldn't take gas at any more than a snails pace. It would keep tripping the pump cause the fuel would back up and gurgle in the filler neck. I asked around and that code usually means there is a solenoid valve on the back of the tank that is bad, due to dust getting in it. No one could verify if that was also my tank filling problem. The new improved valve is $150.00 plus some hose clamps and about 12 feet of 5/8 heater hose. So I bit the bullet and bought the parts. I put it on the lift and replaced the valve and routed the hose and filter to above the tranny, which is supposed to be cleaner than the air behind the tank. I went to the gas station and filled her up, no problem! Had the code reset and it hopefully should be fine. I was also told that if you overfill the tank, and top it off, it could flood the valve with raw gas, instead of just fumes, which will damage the valve, so I will not be topping off my tank any more. Lesson leaned! Let me know if you have had a similar experience, as this is a common problem with '99 through 2010 Chevy trucks.

17,075

There could be other issues, like a collapsed rubber hose to tank, broken loose baffle in tank and ever gas thieves leaving behind syphon tools inside tank filler hose.