Is bad turbocharger causing lost of power/speed.

Asked by Apr 16, 2012 at 03:28 PM about the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

I have 1997 Eclipse Spyder GST. Engine replaced with Japanese Mistsubishi Engine. After some wiring
problems can ran fine, then it began losing power, stalling out, and clutch petal losing pressure and not
returning from floor. Repair shop fixed clutch problem, but still no power in any gear....top speed approx 55mph
in 5th gear. Per repair shop
turbocharger is bad, thus no power as stated above. Would "bad" turbocharger cause said lost of power. I do
not trust repair shop  due their actions taken thus far to fix my vehicle.

155

One there is no such thing as a jdm 4g63 they r all the same second it sounds like a boost leak to my so u should find someone who can do that and I the turbocharger was bad u would cuz it would smoke and eat oil

40

the 4g63 engine was a replica of actual japan engine. mitsubishi sold their engine layout to chrysler but had diamond state motors build the engine while chrysler was making the eagle talon and plymouth laser all models. the 4g63 engine was in all the eclipse, talon, and laser models from 1990 - 1994 call it first generation eclipse. the eclipse gst and gsx's // eagle talon tsi // plymouth laser rst came stock with a turbocharger and intercooler.. the last stock turbocharged eclipse engines were the 2nd generation(95-99) eclipse gst, gst-spyder and the gsx. after that they put a chrysler 420a engine(wack). your turbocharger would only loose power because of a leak or cracked vaccum hoses, or holes in the piping of the exhaust turbo manifold or you didnt retime your engine when u got the new one

20

I'm having the same issue and top speed is 60mph. Sometimes I have to down and up shift because the level of boost gains dramatically when accelerated. I blocked off the turbo with a wastegate flange and works fine but with no boost. I was told in order for the boost / blow off to work that the wastegate accuator needs to be changed. WTF is that suppose to mean. If the vaccum leaks are fixed shouldn't the boost / blow off valve work properly?

165

undue all youre intercooler piping one at a time and make sure your clamps are nice and tight. Also you can check your blow off valve and lines running arent losing boost also. Most the time the leaks come right after the turbo outlet or and intercooler outlet. Even a bad turbo youre car would still have plenty of power. I had many go bad and most smoke like a huge huge smoke screen for months with power decent. Except once my turbo broke off a wheel inside and i had no power but that was after like 220,000 miles on my mirage 1.6 turbo. Check the intercooler turbo piping for leaks. They show how to build a great boost leak tool if you need on youtube for like 20 bucks. But you dont need that , just redue all lines and try again. Also do a compression check to know how strong your engine is also. Good luck.

165

Oh i forgot to say , Check just at the outlet on the turbo up until the throttle body. Usually mine would be just after the turbo or after the intercooler itself.

165

Also both of you need to update to show what the problem ended up being. Vfaq.com is every answer you will need with these cars by the way. Also roadraceengineering in cali is one of the best shops in the country. Can always call them and ask things or look on there sight also.

165

Shoot i forgot, crankwalk is something common with these cars. I once raced my eclipse on freeway at 130 mph and then after the clutch stuck inside. They say this is a symptom of crankwalk coming. And specially on left hand turns if it happens. Hope not, and hope it doesnt happen to my 97 convertable spyder turbo.

20

Well after many months of trying to figure it out it was just a simple C clip where waste gate leverage was. But here's another issue I'm running into. The car starts perfectly fine but doesn't move at all in any gear. Even accelerated up to 6k rpms and noticed the boost needle doesn't even move but slightly