My car won't start in the heat of the day. Acts like a dead battery but everything is as it should be. Any thoughts?

95

Asked by Jul 21, 2009 at 08:19 PM about the Mitsubishi 3000GT

The starter, battery cables, battery terminals and battery have all been replaced. It will start if it isn't hot outside or the car has been in the shade. If it doesn't start, i usually just have to slightly shift the terminal on the battery and it will start. The connections are all very clean and tight. Jump-starting also gets it going.

65

Change the battery out for a new one bro. I am pretty sure that's what you need. I had the same problem with my vr-4 about a week ago. Tested the battery and it was "fine" for other cars, but I had a feeling it was the problem, and replaced it anyway and all is fine now. 3000gt's are just finicky when it comes to battery charge. Also have your alternator checked, I havent checked mine yet, but I think its about time for a rebuild on the alternator as well.

65

With a higher cranking amp battery*** Didn't specify the battery details there, my bad.

Have the battery tested and then if its hot like you say, well its the starter.

45

try your battery connections and grounds

95

I changed the battery twice thinking that was the problem, and I am constantly messing around with all the connections. I'm beginning to think it may just be my clutch sensor. If I turn the key, keep it in the start position and just pop the clutch in and out, it starts without having to bother getting under the hood. Also, 3SI had a thread saying that the GT's starter relay only sends out the bare minimum to the starter, which is why you get the "click-click-start" so often in GT's. Trial and error I guess!

125

try checking your ECU, 1st gen ECU's are notorious for having leaky capacitors on the main board and lead to all sorts of intermittent problems