Electrical

Asked by Jun 15, 2011 at 01:03 PM about the Porsche 944

Electrical- With the ignition key in the 'off' position, I have 12v power to starter, fuel pump, dash gages etc as soon as I connect the wires to the battery.  How do I check for bad ignition switch, bad relay(s) or whatever else may cause this issue.
Everything was OK until I tried to shut the car off and it just kept running. Starter motor will start cranking as soon as battery cables are attached (with the key's in my pocket!)
Thanks,
JohnF

255

What year is your 944? If it is a late model, then my guess are that the cap on the back of the ignition switch is busted. This can cause the wires in the back to touch. That is the only thing I can think of that could be the problem for everything turning on like that and would be one failure, not multiple ones. The best way to check the ignition switch is to use a multimeter set to ohms. Unplug the wires from the rear of the switch (mark them!), and check the different positions to make sure that when you have the key in the off position, it isn't sending power to the starter.