starting problems

150

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the BMW X5

my bmw 05 x5 has starting issues latlely , sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesnt , we checked the battery , fuses, fuel pump and they all seem to be working good. so we replaced the fuel relay switch it was like 30 bucks it started right up , it seems like it does this in the cold ...please help!maybe one of the above is messed up ..i bought it a few weeks ago

150

i should have said it still doesnt start every time even with the relay switch replaced

254,315

Replace the fuel filter and then look at the fuel pump again. It might be starting to fail. If you have close to 120K or more, it's time to replace.

Best Answer Mark helpful
150

ok will do !!!thanks

455

Does it crank and no start or does not do anything?

355

u have to put it on an bmw scanner like gt1 or ista it could be from a spark plug or the fuel filtre

40

There might be enough power in batter for dash lights, but evidently not enough to turn the engine. Try getting a jump start, let the car run awhile to see if the battery will charge. Check ignition. alternator, starter. Sometime it occur due to bad connection. Take your car to certified European Auto Tech for right diagnosis. Call 972- 351-8964

50

Hello I need help my BMW X5 2001 the rpm gauge and PRND12345 lights in the dash not working I text the dashboard and everything working here is the photo and I check the fusil panel and nothing is wrong someone can help me please

100

So what is your final solution? Did you replace your fuel filter? I have the same issue. I replaced the fuel pump relay but still have the same problem. Thanks in advance.

10

I have a BMW X5 35i and it's doing the same thing. And my sound in the interior doesn't work. No sound at all but if I have my blue tooth hooked up to my phone and make a call they can hear me but I can't hear them.

100

My final solution is to replace the battery. It turned out the battery is bad. Luckily it is still under warranty, so the dealer replaced that for free.

i just replace the battery , but still I have same problems , what can I do ?

10

Hi, I bought my BMW X5 a couple of weeks ago and from the start I was made aware of the starting problem by a very honest seller. I thought I would take it to service and perhaps replace some of the ignition components, diesel filter, etc. However, upon carefully reading the BMW owner's manual, I discovered a section on cold starting your X5. It turns out the key has 3 positions. The second position which turns on the electronics is also a PRE HEAT DIESEL position. So, if you leave the key in the 2nd position for about 1 to 2 minutes (depending on how cold the ambient temperature is) then it starts just fine. Consider that the X5 Diesel manual says that in some cases it can take 20 seconds for the engine to start. In very cold conditions, the manual says that it could take up to 40 seconds to start. Check this out and please let me know if this simple solution worked for you. Lastly, be careful NOT to flood the engine with too much gas pedal. Learn to push down the pedal all the way at the right moment. Happy motoring and I love my X5!

10

Hi There, I have MBW X5 2004, 3.0 Diesel... I brought it few months ago. I had a problem when i start it, it cuts off, i have to do it again n again. Some time it starts in one go, some time 3, 6,8 times. I gets frustrated. The mechanich has changed ignition switch, crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor. But the car is still with the same fault. I have spent about £1000 but the car is still in same fault. Please someone share their experience. ????

10

I've got a 2004 X5 3.0L. the vehicle runs well, however over the last few weeks. I've been experiencing loss of power, engine burning oil, then finally, you drive he vehicle for a while then, you are not able to restart the engine again, until you get someone to boost the battery. Although the battery is fairly new. The moment it's boosted you can turn it off immediately, then start again it will start. I suspected this started with some electrical problem. However, the technicians has not been able to diagnose the problem. Some say the engine is dead, but I'm able to drive the car at top speak 160-200km/hour, so I'm very confused as to what the issue is.