2014 Subaru outback

Asked by Aug 22, 2015 at 06:43 PM about the Subaru Outback

New car, but get a constant smell that cat con maybe bad already. Book says to use 87
octane gas. Dealer tells me to try Mobil gas, really.. I am a big fan of Sunoco and that's
all i use. Anyone have real info on right answer. Thanks Shane

20,445

Shane, the dealer sounds like an idiot who owns Mobil stock, see this link , if he really thinks they're a fly by night company, he's wrong. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunoco

20,445

If your car is that new and probably under warranty still, either find another dealer or talk to the shop foreman, or service manager and get them to investigate the problem. Why didn't they tell you to buy Chevron gas? LOL. Look, it's not the gas you're buying and besides, there's not actually that many fuel refineries in the USA, there's just many different distributors which is why you see so many independent stations, They all get their fuel from the same sources. And, use 87 octane, that's what your car calls for. Finally, call Subaru of America Customer Service if you can't get them to help you, the number is 800-782-2783. Good luck. Keep me posted on your progress. Which model do you have , H4 or H6, and what transmission? I love my 2010 Subaru Outback Limited with CVT.

20,445

Shane, hope my previous answer was helpful to you?

49,295

Actually fuel is all the same, but it's not all the same. Let me explain....Each brand of fuel (Mobil, Chevron, Sinclair, etc.) uses its own additive package. The additive packages are different, but the base fuel stock is the same. Chevron, for example has one of the best fuel detergent packages on the market. Always try to use name brand top tier fuel at the octane level recommended by the manufacturer. A smelly catalytic converter could be a sign of engine getting too much fuel or getting oil in the exhaust. How is the fuel mileage? Is your car using excessive amounts of engine oil? Probably need to be checked at the dealership.

20,445

Bob, do you remember when Scott Carpenter was hawking "F-310", from the early 1970s? That was a great marketing scheme, but, discredited bull shit! The only thing you said that makes sense is that he should bring his car in for a check up. Look, he's got a 2014 car. Stop scaring people about the brand name fuel they purchase, there's a lot of oil companies out there many people are unfamiliar with, Valero is one of them. THEY'RE AN OIL COMPANY A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T KNOW, and have their own stations.

20,445

http://www.valero.com/default.aspx

20,445

Bob, while I'm thinking about it, would you advise people to NOT purchase gasoline at Costco? ? I noticed yesterday a 60 cent difference between a local Chevron station and Costco for the same 87 octane. How do you explain that? It's GREED, my friend. Plain and simple. So, if you want to spend more of your money on useless purchases, fine. Just don't advise the rest of us to do that.

20,445

Here's the reference to F310. http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2014/03/17/if-you-cant-join-em- beat-em-the-day-that-gasoline-went-clean-and-got-whacked/

49,295

Mark, you ever been to or hauled fuel out of a refinery, I HAVE. The only difference in most fuels today is the additive package and some are better than others. The additives are injected at the fuel rack where the trucks are loaded. Buy fuel from a busy fairly new name brand place and problems will be few. Costco would likely be fine as they move lots of fuel. Also get off of you high horse, you know very little about gasoline.

49,295

perhaps read.....http://www.carfax.com/blog/top-tier-gas-medicine- engine/

49,295

Perhaps read.....http://www.toptiergas.com/

49,295

Perhaps read.....http://blogs.motortrend.com/1403_all_fuels_are_not_created_equ al_technologue.html

49,295

I could post examples like that all day. Do some investigation.....

49,295

One more listing Costco as top tier....http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

20,445

Did you ever consider why Costco is number One? It's the price.. see this picture . Buy gas at the same local stations and you'll be fine. No reason to purchase the most expensive gasoline, fear factor or not. Unless you're on the road and if you are on the road, Flying J and Pilot Stations have top fuel and great prices.

49,295

There you go, it's not about price, it's about whether it's top tier or not. When in doubt buy a recognized brand name.

USA 76 Stations Aloha Petroleum ARCO Beacon BP Chevron Conoco Costco Wholesale CountryMark Diamond Shamrock Entec Stations Express Convenience Centers Exxon Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN) Holiday Stationstores Kwik Trip / Kwik Star MFA Oil Co. Mobil Ohana Fuels Phillips 66 QuikTrip Road Ranger Shamrock Shell Sinclair Suncor Energy Inc SuperAmerica Texaco Tri-Par Oil Co. Valero

Those are the retailers that most all new cars say you must use. Detergents

49,295

Yup, it's all about the additive package. Put garbage cheepo fuel in a new vehicle and years later you will likely pay the price.

Mark, off-topic. but you asked this a while ago. 2.5L I4 vs 2.5L I4 -Same piston, shorter stroke on the I5 make them both 2.5L Short stroke= less low end torque. Also means lower piston speed at same rpm and higher red-lines Check this out, click for animation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

138 gasoline refineries in the US lower 48 States