I have replaced the alternator and the radiator along with the battery. I have also have the starter checked out as well. It was fine but yet my car has trouble starting it will click and lights

Asked by Feb 04, 2015 at 10:12 PM about the Subaru Outback

Will turn on but it won't turn over. I
believe something may have
happend to the wiring! help! Subaru
Outback legacy 1996 with a 2.5l
engine.

1,005

ok have you check out the ignition either the switch which is under the steering column or the lock cylinder which is where you put the key in

6,615

So, I am guessing you get one solid "click" and then nothing.. then turn the key again, CLICK.. nothing. Is that right? If everything you've checked seems to be good but you're having the symptoms you are.. you are either having a power delivery problem or a ground issue. You can get a multimeter and check ohmage / resistance from the battery cable to the starter terminal, then to the alternator (just to see). You also need to check the actual probes.. it should be around .5-1.2 -- which you can pretty much subtract that from your readings. And you want your connection for your battery terminal to be really clean and snug-tight. Then you need to make sure that your ground cable terminal and where it connects to the engine and body are clean; then check ground wires from the body to the engine are clean. Sometimes you think everything is dandy but it's like a gremlin. I hate looking for power issues like this because it can be a PITB. However, what I do is clean one ground, try to start.. clean another, try to start. If the engine bay has gotten wet at all / driven through a puddle / cleaned the engine bay.. a ground wire may have corroded just enough to cause resistance. The starter takes a larger than normal amount of power to turn your engine. Keep in touch. Best regards,

6,615

Guess we answered around the same time Kinker. I would think that if the starter is getting power and popping the drive but doesn't have enough power to turn the engine that the ignition circuit is good. But I'm no expert.. SubaruGirl.. you could also remove one or two plugs and see if the engine is flooded. I would say it is rather unlikely but it is another option. It is called "hydro-lock" or hydro locked.

1,005

Please let us know what you find out it could help some other person thanks

1,005

Also make sure you check the ground wire from underneath the fuse box near the windshueld washerc jug