Loose leather fit

5

Asked by Jan 20, 2011 at 08:14 PM about the Subaru Outback

The leather on the rear seat at the corners (where you enter the vehicle/closest to
the door) is loose/flabby not tight. The dealer stated the the leather is loose there
becuase of the possibility of a car seat installed or whatever. This way the the
leather has room to move and won't wear out or crack as easliy.  I've never seen
seats like this, they have always been a tight fit and conformed to the foam
padding. Does anyone else have the same leather fit issue.

5,715

The dealer just wants to sell ya the car.

5

I have gone by several dealerships and looked at the rear leather seats in all their outbacks, and they are all the same. Loose

10

Hahha too much. They'll come up with all sorts of nonsense eh?? Bottom line is Subaru interiors are garbage. My leather seat ripped and now the steering wheel silver trip paint is fading. Oh did I mention the car is only nine months old and I dropped 40k on it?? I drove an accord for nine years and beat the crap out of it and was bullet proof!! Never one issue inside or out.

5

I did not have the problem with loose seat leather in my 2011 Outback Limited... However my vehicles now has approximately 5000 miles on it and there is a tear approximately 4" long across the center of where I have my daughters car seat. There was absolutely no neglect here and the seat had a cover installed under it the day I picked the car up. I will never purchase a Subaru with factory leather again!!!! I'm still not sure if Subaru is going to help me out with this yet or not. I would suggest purchasing the Outback with cloth and having a professional install the leather of your choice. Usually runs about $1500 I am told since I have been pricing it for my 2010 Legacy now. D Storms

55

Theres been a lot of issues from the factory in regards to the leather seating in the Outbacks. Serious issues, there was one that they completely forgot to put the leather on the back seat. It was leather in the front two seats and cloth in the rear seats. I suggest befriending your service manager with a non confrontational attitude and see if he could get it goodwill with Subaru. They are really big on retention and will actually jump through hoops for the right person. I say that because leather is a subjective area, you could of caused the damage (or so he might say) but the service guys know that a lot of the Outbacks are coming in with leather issues in certain regions. What part of the country are you in?

I have same issue on my 2011 3.6R Lim. Leather was loose when we got it, and I just let it go. I think I asked once when getting it serviced and they said it was normal (of course). Might prod them again next time I'm in. Looks like they might be able to remove seat bottom and stretch leather taught uder the retaining wire/clips?