my wrx is making a tickin sound i just got a new ej20 and new stock turbo

15

Asked by Mar 31, 2009 at 10:24 PM about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi

3,035

its pretty much impossible to give an accurate diag over the internet on a ticking noise lol

685

It is true its difficult to diagnose a ticking over the internet, but I had a ticking develop on my evo 2 months ago so I have a few suggestions. First, park the car and rev it in neutral. If the ticking is still there and varies in frequency with the rpm, then the issue is in the motor or valvetrain. If the sound only happens when the car is moving then its in the drivetrain somewhere (could be something as simple as a nail or pebble stuck in a tire ) If its coming from the engine try to isolate it to head/valvetrain or block/rotating assembly. This is much harder to do. When i was diagnosing mine, I pulled the valve cover off and found one of the lobes on the closing edge of the intake cam had a frekin piece of metal gouged out of it and it was ticking as it clicked over the roller! I'm not familiar with the valvetrain in the Scoobarus but if you have lifters and/or hyrdaulic lash adjusters check those dudes. If your car has been down for a few weeks while you were installing turbos and wotnot, then (if they are hydraulic) lash adjusters could have drained partially and failed to repressurize properly on startup. This would leave a small gap between the lifter and the rocker arm that could cause a ticking as they smack together... To fix that you need to pull the valvetrain off and bleed the lash adjusters and hope they pressurize properly the next time the car is started up. When you do start it up you need to keep the revs up higher than idle for a few minutes while the lash adjusters pressurize. They won't have enough oil pressure at idle to pressurize otherwise. Now all this is based off my knowledge of Evo's, so obviously there may be slight differences for the EJ20... the basics should be the same though.