Electrical

Asked by Feb 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM about the Subaru Impreza

Start car in AM and the clock, odometer and radio are wiped out.

7,995

What do you mean wiped out? Are they off or reset. If they are off check your fuses... If somehow your odometer reset then check your title for the mileage you bought it at, and sell it when it's just sightly over that again. :-D (kidding that would be illegal, and a dick move to whomever buys it)

This only occurs first thing in the morning, our temps have been a bit cold. I was thinking might be fuse related - this morning Subaru Dealer did electrical check and said everything was OK. Haven't turned anything off; however had a new Battery installed about a month ago. Still think it is fuse related?

7,995

hmm... If the new battery caused it, it may just be low system voltage due to the cold, possibly coupled with some dirty/bad connections. Dunno kinda an odd one and electrical problems are hard to diagnose in person, let alone over the internet. Doesn't help that I'm not all that great with electrical. :-D Do you still have the problem, and once the car has been running for a little bit do they come on or do you have to shut the car down and restart?

195

It can't be a fuse, because no one fuse controls those 3 things - and again, if a fuse was blown, the stuff would never work until you replaced the fuse. Since you just put in a new battery, make sure all your connections are tight, and clean / free of corrosion. Also check all the grounding points inside the Engine bay. barring any issues with those, you might have a ground out in your harness someplace that is causing issues. Could be something a simple as a wire that had the insulation rubbed off it, or a mouse or something chewing on your wires. Do you have a remote starter by any chance? This could be causing problems if it's not wired correctly.