SUBARU FORESTER vs ??

5

Asked by Jun 02, 2016 at 01:03 PM about the Subaru Forester

I'm in the market, unfortunately, for a new car, (my Sequoia nearly killed myself
and daughter due to an unknown frame rot- whole different story)- anyway, he
was advised Forester was the way to go, safety, reliability, yada yada yada.  He
purchased from Costco's auto program, got a good deal.  My trusted
mechanic, and a few others I called, have said to not buy a Subaru  due to #1-
head gasket; leak oil;  parts $$$$  and have to get them from Subaru which
means without car for days; take engine apart; timing components;plus other
things; #2 don't like CVT transmissions.
are these valid points not to get a Forester even if its a new 2015-2016?
I can't spend more than $25k.
Costco and some dealers have prices within my range for this car or a few
others.
I'm looking for a SUV/Van, with a  bench type 2nd row-(no bucket seats, need
the middle seat) and a 3rd row.
Cannot afford Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot.
May have to look at a Hyundai Sante Fe 6+ seater.

any opinions on topic questions and opinions on Sant Fe 6+ seaters:
*safety in a crash ( very important as I've had 3 children -devastatingly our son
died, in 2 horrific car accidents)
*safety in rain/wet roads,
*safety in roll overs
*good power in accelerating, etc.
* reliability in power, maintenance, engine, etc.,

any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks:)

242,115

Kia Sorento, Hyundai Sante Fe. is your only option for a 3rd row seat and under $25k, you would need to move to $30k to get more options.

22,435

All cars are dangerous- so sorry to hear about your son! If we don't kick the automotive habit in this country, (35,000 automotive deaths in the U.S. last year) there will be more and more unspeakable tragedies- what's the answer? mass transit, move to a small town, just be aware of the danger- as such, there are no cars I can recommend to you- as far as safe handling, ability to avoid accidents, ability to take a crash- a car is better than an SUV- it won't roll over as easily- now, as far as Subarus go- I wouldn't own one- I could not afford to keep an old one, and buying a new one is just buying a throw away car- this is a question with many considerations- but I don't want to go on, because this is just too sad-

5

Thank you Tom! would you choose one over the other?

5

Thank you jamnblues for your kind words. My youngest is just now driving and I'm terrified. I know she needs to live her life without having me constantly over her with all the terrible things that happen in life ( i have a touch PTSD from all that has happened) But a good dose of healthy reality is good for everyone. Kids think they can handle things, and they can, but sometimes they can also get out of dangerous situations with some basic knowledge which we parents need to relate whether they want to hear it or not. and sometimes, no matter what they do terrible things may happen. as in the cases of my 3 other children. Neither accident was their fault. Life just is horrific sometimes and sometimes it's joyous and a miracle in the same minute as being horrific. when you say " a new one is buying a throw away car" what do you mean...as in throwing away money because after the warranty you're spending a ton of money frequently? would buying an extended warranty cover the hassle, expense, headaches? My younger son bought a 2016 Forester on the advice of someone he knows well. He bought it through Costco's program. I was wondering if Subaru fixed all the issues my mechanic said he saw subarus had with 2015 and below. But my mechanic still thinks it's a problem and doesn't really know about the 2016's. But he DOES NOT like CVT engines. Most new cars seem to have CVT so I have no idea what to do?? sorry this was so long dazed & confused.