does 1993 Villagers have anti theft chip in ignition key?

Asked by Jun 22, 2014 at 02:40 PM about the Mercury Villager

does 1994 fully loaded Villagers have  an anti theft chip in ignition key?

I don,think your model has chip,in key

The reason I asked is , we can't keep it cranked, It try's then cuts off. A friend had a 2002 Dodge Ram truck, that had the original set of keys with chip in it and a set of copies made at Walmart, the truck tried to start and could not be cranked with the walmart key but when the original key was used it cranked with no problems. We have a set of walmart keys copied from the original keys but do not have an original set of keys . We have tried just about everything, new computer, new fuel pump, (not a re built one) and a new starter. I will have to sell for junk price I guess. I have run out of free meka-necks around here:)

Have you may be,by chance put a new coil on it?

MY brother is going to look at it tomorrow I will ask him to ck that as well, He is a retired mech. so hopefully he can repair it. thank you both for your suggestions and if you have anymore thoughts I will be glad to pass them on.

Doesn't look like it. I looked up your lock cylinder on Try squirting some starting fluid down the throttle body. If it runs a few seconds it's a fuel problem. If not it's an ignition problem or you've jumped timing. Check for spark. If you have good spark run a compression test. If all cylinders test low you've jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

Could it be a faulty ignition switch since fini says it won't crank and just cuts off?

Thanks I will pass that on to my Bro. (he is a retired certified auto mechanic) when he comes over, if he finds the problem I will be sure to let everyone know. He thinks it might be the wire that runs from the motor back to the gas tank, it might be broken or got disconnected in some way.

It could be Tom. That'd give us no spark. -Jim