I have a '02 Mercury Topaz. The car is not on and when I turn the key in the ignition all the car does is squeal. An opinion I have gotten is that the starter has a skip. What is your opinion?

Asked by Apr 01, 2016 at 02:06 PM about the Mercury Topaz

My car squeals when attempting to turn the car over.  After two attempts, the car will turn over.  Skip in the starter is the expert opinion so far.  What is your opinion.

1,730

Dont you believe the expert? Have you pulled hood up and really tried to discern area? Or jacked and secured it, then listened underneath? You could get mechanic stethescope and VERY CAREFULLY probe the area as someone tries cranking. If you touch area or get close you'll hear it with that.

1,730

Add more to that, sequels usually sound to me more like loose belt.