2000 mercury cougar 2.5... stalling and losing power..randomly

Asked by Mar 24, 2012 at 06:45 PM about the Mercury Cougar

My car had 137k miles, it drives for a few days with no issue, then suddenly it bogs, loses power and
stalls. Almost feels like its not getting fuel. It starts right up again, but hills do seem to aggravate it. i am
afraid to drive it. I replaced the fuel filter and gave it a fuel injection treatment. Also, there is this burning
type smell during these episodes, and sometimes during normal driving i can smell it slightly. And the
brakes feel funny. Almost like one side is catching more then the other.

45

have you tried the fuel filter

25

I have the same problem with my cougar ive changed the fuel pump and it still boggs down and dies if i give it to much gas or if i don't let it run for 30 mins before going any where. feels like something is clogging the fuel filter but not sure that is it

50

Was this problem ever resolved?? My cougar is doing a similar thing. Starts, will run fine for several hours... days.. Kinda varies. Every once in a while I will loose power and the car will die. Once it dies it will not start for at least 45 minutes. After 45 minutes the car will start ans run as if nothing ever happened.

O was having the same problem. Change the fuel pump and didn't fix it but when I change the fuel pump connector problem solved , at least looks like it now