my 91 XR2 started making a low pitched wwrrrrrrring sound and now has no engine power any ideas?

Asked by Sep 12, 2012 at 02:41 AM about the Mercury Capri

car seems to run fine but give it gas and it makes the sound and just has no power

125

My guest is that you Turbo has blown a exhaust mating gasket and/or the bolts are loose. If you can drive it with very little gas OK, but the minute you put your foot into it, it feels like it want to die. Then that's exactly what's wrong. If you have or can removed the heat guard over the turbo. When the engine is cooled down, grab the turbo with both hands and see if you feel a slight give, or also visual appearance of the mating of the turbo and exhaust manifold. I had a Probe, with a Mazda engine, and had the same problem, it got so bad, it started to sound like a truck. The gasket blown due to the bolts had loosen up .