Is the rear end in the 71 to 74 Capri used elsewhere?

Asked by Aug 03, 2010 at 12:45 AM about the Mercury Capri

Hey folks.. I'm looking for a capri rear end complete.. Was this rear end used here in north america in any other cars.. such as pinto, maverick etc?

Thanks  Mark

The rearends that the Capris' used in thje years you stated are ingrated ( all one unit , not a easy service gear swap style ) . But look to the Pinto - mid '70's with a V -6 motor / Mustang II , with V -6 or V -8 , Mercury Bobcat , V -6 motor ,. All these had a Ford 8 " rearend that used a " Drop-out pumpkin " ( easy to service on a bench , plus swap different ratios ) . The width is the same as the Capri , so track is identical , the leaf spring pads are also the same ! You must remember that the Capri was Gemany's Mustang . These rearends are quite easy to find in most wrecking yards .Hope this helps some .

Hey thanks Joey.. I wondered about the Pinto, i knew it was an 8 inch drop out carrier.. It's going to be 4 linked anyway, so the leaf pads don't matter, but the width information is just what I'm looking for.. This is what it's going into.. the capri diff in there is just totally awful for gearing.. 3.43's ( euro diff.. ) Mark

Hey Mark , glad to help out . I'm thinking of doing the same ( rear-end wise ) to my '76 "Black Cat" Capri .Can change the gearing way easier , plus also easier to add disc brakes ,as kits are available for the 8 " . Also stays 4 bolt !