1995 Ford Thunderbird will turn over but doesn't start. spark problem.

Asked by Sep 06, 2013 at 12:24 PM about the Ford Thunderbird

All is new,spark plugs,wires,ignition coil,module,you name it it's on there. Even my mechanic is stumped.

Just for giggles, unplug the SPOUT connector and check for spark. Any codes? 3.8L or 5.0L? Your ignition system is independent except for the signal to the module from the computer through the SPOUT connector. That's how the computer tells the module to advance or retard ignition timing. If the computer or the SPOUT signal is messed up, the Module won't know it's even getting a signal to fire anything. A technician will unplug the SPOUT to set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. Is there 12V at both sides of the coil with the key in run and start? I've seen a few ignition switches come apart too. Not the key cylinder but the electrical switch on the column. If your mechanic doesn't mind a little extra work, pull the distributor, attach a ground wire to the housing, plug it in and turn the key on. Give the shaft a spin and see if the coil outputs sparks. I used to keep a test distributor for this very thing: plug it in, ground it, turn it on and spin it with a test spark plug connected to the coil.

Whoo Tracy lol

I hope that's a compliment. I've been a Ford Technician since 1987.

It is I'm a ford guy also. I was accepted in to UTI right after high school but I didn't want to take out any school lones. Didn't want to be in debt if I did get a job after you know.

my ford won't start,if i hold key on to turn over? but when I turn key to on position a the cooler fan runs and i hear fuel pump and other electrical components kick on is this normal or is it supposed to do this? Or should it just be able to turn over immediatly?

Oh by the way this is a 1996 ford thunderbird.