cranks but no start

5

Asked by Feb 08, 2014 at 06:52 AM about the Ford Taurus

The car dose poor on gas and smells of fuel when it runs.  The check engine light has been on ever since I've had it.  I replaced the spark plugs a few months back, and the check engine light went off for a week or so.  It had more pep at first then began to run poor again over a week of lite driving.  What caught my attention was I had recently used some belt condintioner to stop the squeaking noise,  I soaked it good.  I took the air box off from the intake and started it, gave it alittle gas and heard a back fire then shut the engine off.  Put it back together to test drive, it was idleing ruff and when you would put it in gear it would miss under the load.  Now it cranks but no start.  Doesnt even sound like its getting a "tah", ta", tah" tah" sound. Just all starter on the flywheel.  I'm still thinking that the belt condintioner may have shorted the crank sensor, down around the belt.  But I havent located the sensor yet, I thought it was on the transmission side of the engine.  Not the pulley side, its been too cold at the moment to try to tough it out now.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank You and God Bless.

228,525

Since the check engine light is back on, scan the car for the code/codes and post back here. You just guessing what the problem is until you have the 4 digit code. Try going to one of your local auto parts stores and have the scan it for you, usually they do it for free.

21,335

OK- the "smells of fuel" is not good- if you are smelling gas, you have a leak in the fuel system- whatever else is wrong with the ol' Taurus, stop guessing and take it to a mechanic to check that gas smell

5

The Oriely Auto Parts says the car has to be running for them to use the scan tool to read the codes. I ran the car for a minute with the throtle body exposed from the air flow box, no MAFS conected. I heard it backfire once and shut it off. After I put the air hose and box back like I had found it, the rpms where fluxuating up and down. When you would put it in gear it would hardly get out of its own way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You and God Bless.

228,525

Sounds like it's time for a mechanic to look at it for you.

5

Is the crank sensor located by the pulleys or is it over by the transmission on the backside?