1993 Ranger Click Then Dead

Asked by Aug 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM about the Ford Ranger

One morning my battery was dead.  I jumped it assuming I left a light on.  Then I drove
to work and went to start my Ranger, it was dead again.  I got a jump drove home and
had the battery tested at a local shop - Good.  So I charged it overnight connected
everything and tried to start the Ranger.  I turned the key to on the instruments lit up
and I turned the key to start then everything died.  Nothing, no hazards, no interior
lights, just dead.  I disconnected the battery and connected again, still dead.  I check
fuses, all good.

Any suggestions?

Check your battery cables for a black corrosion on the terminals ends and battery posts, they should be shiney clean, if that isn't it, then check for battery voltage through the battery cables that sounds like you have a major voltage drop. Check and see if you have the older style of fuselinks, they are attached to the same post on the starter solenoid as the positive cable. Make sure you didn't hookup the battery backwards. It happens.

Best Answer

The battery cables were badly corroded with what looked like black paint. I sanded them to shiny reconnected and everything worked perfectly. Thanks!

Glad it was that simple.

Is that not friggin amazing after he went to the local shop and was tested and told it was good. I just helped a lady with a brand new battery, got it to start without tools and took the new battery for a test. The parts kids were just about to "defect it out" when i asked if they had the caps off yet and did they have a wire brush? They looked at each other like...what the F is he thinkin. I cleaned the posts with a screwdriver to a shine. Test it again, we suggested. AAAMAAAZING ! Now it passes the little chinese han held L.E.D. tester. Starts the car after cleaning the clamps and reconnecting it too. go figure