why is my idle surging? i think its the iac

25

Asked by Dec 26, 2009 at 08:52 PM about the Ford Probe

my idle is surging after the car warms all the way up. it surges from 1000 to 1500 and its really annoying. i think the idle air control valve needs cleaned or i need an o2 sensor! IDK ANYTHING about these cars ive never had an import or a v6 that i've worked on and im really confused! please help
also if this has anything to do with it, if i stay at a speed say 45 for a couple minutes the check engine light turns on and stays on until i turn the car off. then it goes away until i stay the same speed again next time im driving.

45

depending on the year you could scan it with an obdii scanner. its most likely not your o2 sensor. if you think its your IAC then clean it! also check out your distributor, wires, and plugs. Some people have reported ripped wires causing idle issues. also make sure your TB is clean. More info at www.performanceprobe.com

105

i had an 89 with the idle problem. i changed the map sensor and it was fine.

35

My 95 GT had the same problem. Change your Mass Air-Flow Sensor (Make sure you use a BRAND NEW one). I used one from a junkyard and it made the problem worse. Since I put the new one in, I haven't had any problems at all.

45

hey im sure i had this same problem. there is a lil senser on the left of the airbox with two vacuum hoses going to it with a plug. replaced it and its fine after i spent over $1200 to fix it and it was lil thing like that.