how hard is it to swap a focus sohc to a dohc

10

Asked by Aug 20, 2012 at 03:36 PM about the Ford Focus

805

Its not the easiest thing in the world and it will either be a lot of work (if you do it yourself) or a lot of money (if you pay someone). we did it in a friends (an SPI SOHC to a ZX2 Zetec DOHC motor). we did this on a 2003 focus. The basics are as follow, you will have to change the motor (duh), the ECU (computer controlling the motor) both sides of the engine harness (in engine bay and in car), the motor mount on the passenger side only, the alternator and power steering pump, AC compressor needs to flipped over, exhaust up to cat needs to be changed, flexplate is different on auto trannys, tranny sub harness will need to be changed, throttle cable/cruise control, serpentine belts, air intake and a few misc. tubes/hoses. I know it looks like a lot but really its not too bad, most of the stuff should already be on the motor if you get it out of a junkyard. Oh and be careful with the Passlock module in the computer...or else the car wont start and it costs a fortune to get a new key/module at the dealership. good luck with everything, hope this helps.

35

I"ve been looking into this and have decided to pay someone to do it for me. I found a shop near Green Bay WI that has done this at least 30 times and have it down to a science. I'm looking for someone within 200 miles of Minneapolis MN that can do this. Is there anyone out there that can do this for less than $1500 parts and labor?

thanks good imformation , any video how to rebuilt the engine split port ford focus 2002 ?

35

If you are planning to rebuild the SPI engine after dropping a valve seat (typical failure) you need to check how badly the engine was damaged. If your pistons are all still intact and not broken you will have a pretty good chance at only removing the head and having it rebuilt. But make sure it is rebuilt by someone who is familiar with what they need to do to fix the factory mistake of the loose valve seat press fit clearance on all the valve seats. You also need to check the head for cracks and other damage caused by the dropped seat. If your piston is broken chances are your engine block is damaged by the piston connecting rod flopping around inside the bore and pounding the cylinder so far out of round it is too expensive to repair because it needs sleeving. Good Luck. AZ

10

what do you mean by avoid the pass lock

35

Cyrl is talking about the ignition electronic recognition system that is part of the ECU unit. The ECU needs to be changed when going from the SOHC to the DOHC engine so the key that matches the new ECU needs to be moved over to the receiving car. Other wise if you don't use a key that matches the ECU Passcode it won't start, I don't think it will even turn over. Cyril seems to indicate that the passcode module may be separated from the ECU but I haven't heard that. If you don't have the ignition key that matches the ECU passcode the dealer can program a new key for you I think it costs about $50 to $100. It hope that helps.

10

Um they are separate I think but in the same plastic holder peice I ended up doing all harnesses cause my Donner car had power evert hint and my first car didn't