problem

110

Asked by Apr 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM about the Ford Focus

i wonder if there is anyone who may b able to help me, i have a 2000 ford focus, my passenger front door wont unlock at all, but it will lock all the other doors and unlock them?

12,995

Sounds like you need to lube the lock mechanism. It is binding somewhere inside the door. This usually involves removing the door panel to gain access to the linkages. Sometimes you can try to get some lube via the inside door handle, down along the window or through the latch area.

110

so you dont think it could be the fuse in anyway,just ive visited a few forums and all have different answers, the problem is i cant gain acess to the inner door as its locked?

12,995

All your locks are on the same fuse so if one works they should all work. By locked you mean you can't open the door or you can't unlock the door? That would be two separate issues.

110

the door is permantly locked, i cant open it on the key or the handle inside, it done it about a month ago, then i messed about locking and unlocking the drivers door and it eventually unlooked and was fine, but have had no joy this time

12,995

When you manually unlock it does it still act the same? If yes you have to get the linkage to move freely before the lock will release the door. You can try to have someone tap on the outside of the door (with their hand) while you try and unlock the door. This might free up the linkage enough to get door open. Then you can get some lube on the linkage to free it up.

110

thank you, i will try this and hopefully it works, many thanks for your help

95

mine has the same problem sometimes i have to lock the door on the inside and then lock the others from the drivers door or i cant lock the car normally lasts a few days then sorts itself though so im just getting on with it tbh.

110

well still no joy with unlocking my passenger door, any more ideas out there, many thanks scott

455

it is possible that the door handle itself broke, this has happened on many cars and you can pull on the handle like normal and lock and unlock the door but if the door handles are broken or if the latch is frozen shut you will have to replace it, that would be a good idea anyway cause even if the doors lock is all that's wrong screwing around with the handle so much probably messed it up anyway

110

the problem is i can not open the door at all, the handle is on a spring and wont unlock, so i cant gain access to the inside parts as i cant get the casing off

455

im just saying, consider the fact that the door handle itself might be broken as in it wont work the latch, that would not allow you to open the door, i had this happen to one of the two focus's i had

110

so do you no how i can gain access to the insides as i cant open the door ?

455

no i didn't trust myself i had a dealership take it in cause they actually knew what they were doing and i wasn't going to risk my daily driver, i was just saying that that is a possibility to check out

455

but u can take the inside panel off as long as you can get to the screws across the bottom, the whole interior piece is held in place by like four screws and plastic clips... if you can get the screws out and the inside door handle out of the way a good solid tug upwards should lift the interior panel off. but if you cant get to the screws im not sure how else to do it

10

I have a 2000 Ford Focus and my doors won't lock at all when try to lock it from the inside or my trunk won't open when I press the button but it will open with the key wat does that mean

70

I have a 2006 focus (hunk of s**t) and my driver side both front and back outer door handles have both snapped off!! I can still get out from the inside but cannot obviously open from outside, no part store can give me straight answer the tried selling me just the door handle but that did not fix it as there must be something in the "guts" behind door panel that snapped. Figures just another cheap plastic "Dealer Only" part Ford make us buy.

70

anyone with any suggestions I would so appreciate any advice on how to fix :) thanks all!

70

yeah just an FYI I know at least with my 06 Focus and from what I have read online the Focus in infamous for outer door handles breaking off. should be a recall FORD!