There is too much oil in a festiva i am looking at buying and it blows smoke could it be anything els aswell though? it runs ok

Asked by Mar 30, 2014 at 09:34 PM about the Ford Festiva

I arrived yesterday to look at a ford festiva the car was blowing smoke the lady said it had to much oil in it, we checked it and it did have a high amount in it.. its only cheap but I don't want to buy it if its going to break completely on me, do you think it could be anything more seriouse? and could it lead to anything more serious if it hasn't already?

264,125

Run away, a Festiva with blue smoke and a woman that lies. Blue smoke is usually a worn engine, either the valve seals or the rings are shot, meaning an engine rebuild.

210

That usually means its an oil burner. Some people know it and will intentionaly over fill it just to make sure it won't be low after your purchase is complete. If it is burning oil, you will see it puff out white smoke. If it isn't smoking, it is leaking oil some where

210

Bad choice on a festiva to begin with

It is white smoke does this make a difference?

265

go someplace else. see smoke nothing can excuse the smokes presence, engine problem. its a bad deal probably needs or will need new or rebuilt engine now/soon

210

I would consider looking for another car...seriously

36,175

White smoke is just as bad if not worse. What the combination of blue and white smoke indicates is it was driven hot and for a long distance. The head gasket is probably blown. Bottom line. Forget about it.

Ok thank you

7,035

While I am a festiva lover and like to see people buy them because they're economy cars and easy to work on / fix, there are a lot of good comments above about the issues present. I would avoid buying this one if you aren't into the fixing -- as it sounds like you aren't. If you are in the market for a festiva, I would check out www.fordfestiva.com and look in the WTB/For Sale section. Lots of good people there :) Kind regards,

15

Is the body in good shape? If you can get the lady to give you the car, you can buy an engine (almost new - lo miles) from Japan. I did this once and was happy with the results. Have your favorite mechanic put in in for you and total cost will be less then an equivalent vehicle.

worth buying even if you need an engine or a rebuild........dont worry bout the festiva haters out there.....the car is worth having...get her to lowerr the price,