what symptoms would a bad solenoid have?

Asked by Aug 17, 2015 at 12:52 PM about the Ford F-150

I have a 1992 Ford F150, 275k, rebuilt engine. It has an inline 6 cylinder, automatic. I've
had intermittent problems with it not starting, but jiggling the battery cables enabled it
to start. A few days have gone by and now it won't start at all. The battery is a maxx
bought from Walmart less than a year ago. When I turn the key, I get power to the
headlights, all the guages on the dash, and the radio but I don't even get a click or
anything. I charged the battery and it shows 80% and slowly rising. I'm not a mechanic
by no means, and could use a little advice if anyone has a moment to respond. Thanks

First check connections at the solinoid then at the starter making sure everything is nice and tight. If everything is tight have someone tap on starter while trying to start vehicle at the same time if vehicle starts replace starter. If it does not start could still be the starter but most likely the starter solinoid.

Thank you very much for your response. Do you happen to know if the solinoid is part of my starter or two different parts? In my research, I've read that some Ford trucks of this age have an external starter solenoid, mounted on the fender or firewall. Have you heard of this before and do you know if this is true for my 92 Ford F-150?

Do you have those universal terminal ends? If so take them off and clean the battery and terminals real good. Also take them apart and clean the wire and terminal where the wire clamps in

Your starter has the solinoid on the starter not on the fender well.

What is on the fender well is the relay from the ignition. It can be jumped to check. Check the net for a video. Just jump it for a second. If you hold it the starter will stay engaged after the engine starts and you could so a lot of damage.

Thank you all for trying to help me. After being towed home yesterday and taking about 2 hours to "pull" the truck up on ramps, the truck is finally fixed. It had nothing to do with the starter or the solinoid. The truck didn't seem to be going into gear like it normally does, and when the dash showed it was in park, it was really in reverse. The trans shift cable is messed up, there is a plastic piece that is supposed to hold the outer sheath in place so that the linkage inside of it can slide to adjust the transmission. That plastic piece is moving and not doing its job. I'm sure I'm not explaining it right, but I need to replace the trans shift cable. The truck starts now, but it looks like it starts while in reverse, but until I can order the part, I can drive it like it is. Thanks everyone for your help. Have a nice day!

Thanks for the update maybe can help someone else if this problem pops up on this forum.