How hard is it to fix a leaking fuel tank? The truck is a 1995 f-150 Texas Lariat(dual tanks)?

175

Asked by Dec 14, 2011 at 04:25 PM about the Ford F-150

depends on where it is leaking,you can cet a gas tank repair kit from any parts store,

485

If it is a small leak in the tank, take a bar of bath soap and rub it over the leak until it is plugged. Really. Give it a try.

he dont want to bathe it???????LOL

175

@papa: Yeah I think that's what i'm gonna do. I bought the truck for $600 purely for use on our farm. It's actually proved itself to be more reliable than my 2004 F-150, suprisingly!! Thanks @wolf_359: I understand what you're saying, but wouldn't that be for just finding the leak and not plugging it?

485

I can't take the credit, or blame, for that suggestion. It was a tip in an old Subaru maintenance book by John Muir publications. Now I remember the title, "How to Keep Your Subaru Alive, A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot ", 2nd Edition, Larry Owens, 1989. Wow, that was a long time ago. Amazingly, I still have that book. Chapter 18, Mechanic's Tips, Secrets, Odds 'N Ends, page 461. Procedure 13: Some Tips from Poor Richard's [Volkswagen] Rabbit Book. Gas Tank Leak? "During one of my travels, I bounced off a sand dune into a pile of rocks, one that put four tiny holes into the Rabbit's gas tank. Since welding equipment is hard to find in the Mojave, I whipped out a bar of Dial and had at the tank. If this disaster should happen to you, rub bar soap into the offending split or pin-hole. Of course, if you've trashed out your gas tank on a rock and there's a huge gash in it, this method won't work. However, it works beautifully for small holes. Continue rubbing the soap into the holes until the gas no longer flows. Repair the gas tank as soon as you have tools. The temporary repair on the Rabbit has lasted three years. You might say it's part of a continuing experiment." There you have it, and all y'all thought I was making that up. Well, Farmboy1981, let us know how it goes. Thank you.

40

We learn new things everyday, using soap is a first for me and it sounds helpful. When a gas tank started leaking on me (and we are talking about a pin hole only) I used a screw with a rubber washer on it and put the screw in the hole and turned until it was tight. The gas stopped coming out. now this is just a temp. fix, you will have to go out and get a patch kit for a long repair.

485

Ah, another inspired solution. MacGyver lives on. I would call this a truly short-term repair, for the possibility of the gasoline degrading the rubber washer. Ten points for ingenuity.

35

Guys, this is the product to use: JB Weld... Any adventure rider will tell you that this is a product that you don't venture too far off without...! Here's a link: http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php But I must admit that I'm impressed by the soap bar trick!! LoL

55

Sorry i had to post. NEVER patch a gas tank. Unless you have it professionally done if you have a leak in the tank IE crack or hole its best to just replace the gas tank all together. Gas tanks are coated with a chemical on the inside to keep the fuel from eating the actual metal. altering the composite of the tank itself can cause issues. From a mechanics point of view, Just replace the tank its pretty easy if you have the means