How can i get better mileage in my truck?

95

Asked by Feb 28, 2009 at 01:41 PM about the Ford F-150

I have a F-150 (5.4L triton) and i currently get less then 13 mpg.
Are there any parts or anything to get me better mpg?

855

Not much on a truck that is heavy and with that engine other than adjusting your driving habits. Don't mash the loud pedal everytime you getthe green light, coast to red lights and anticipate when a light will turn red or green to increase coasting and unnecessary stops an starts. Choose routes to your destination that use highways or roads with less lights and less traffic congestion. Make sure your tires are inflated properly or even a little over inflated in the summer for less rolling resistance. Make sure your spark plugs are all in good shape (minor to no corrosion and proper gaps maintained), ensure you have clean fuel injectors and a clean air filter. Synthetic oil helps a bit too. You could get the engine breathing a little better with an aftermarket inake kit and maybe exhaust mods as well but these can also lead to stepping on the throttle too much to hear the music ; >. Cheers.

75

actually there is more you can do, what mods have you done? a programmer might help if you dont already have one. they can be a little pricey but worth it. i think the guys at F150online.com would be more of a help than i am though. you may want to check in there so they can point you in the right direction on that.

95

my truck is completely stock. i don't know what mods to put on, or which companies r better then others. which intake/exhaust systems and other mods make my mileage better without being too expensive?

25

drive slower.... turn air off role windows down a hydrogen boost will gt u better gas millage but i personally think its a pain in the butt ..they have a web site just type hydrogen boost in google im surprised u get less than 13 i have a 02 f-150 5.4 liter that gets that on a bad day

19,390

Driving habits is the answer. My 2010 F-150 is rated at 17/21 mpg. On a rather long road trip a while back I hit the interstate, plugged in the cruise control, and nailed in at 60 for the entire trip. When I stopped to get gas (started with a full tank) the old pencil and paper indicated a little over 25 mpg. Of course I was the only thing in the truck.

2,405

just replace the spark plugs and oil more freequent, put an after market acold air intake, an after markat exhaust , and add a bully dog system to your car . That will add beter gas milage to your ride.Dont forget the lucas oil liquid you put in the gas tnk when you fill it up.

19,390

If the truck runs ok, before spending a bundle of money remember this. I have a 2010 F-150, My bro. purchased a 2011 outfitted the same way with engine and tranny. On our road trips to the casino (100) miles each way I average well over 20 miles per gallon. He gets about 12 or thirteen. The difference - I drive at 60 and he drives somewhere around 85. Try taking your time for a week. See what happens.

315

Depending on the speeds you're driving, AC off and windows down can potentially hurt your mileage. At higher speeds, it is said that using A/C with the windows up is better becasue of the added wind resistance caused by a windows down condidtion.

19,390

Dave is correct, expecially at highway speed. If your a/c is cycling normally it should not decrease your mpg to a point where it is noticeable. Also, if you removed the talegate from the truck because it looks cool, put it back on. Having it down or off kills gas mileage.

10

i've owned several 150's. the air flow is severely restricted, and you can get a few extra miles from fixing that. the best way i had it done was through a k&n intake and a magnaflow exhaust. the first thing i do, whenever i buy one, is pull the restrictor out of the airbox. the computer will learn how to cope with the added oxygen. i increased my jeep's economy by about 5 mpg by swapping out injectors. not sure if they have a good swap for 150's or not

30

My 2001 5.4 was running to cold believe it r not .put new thermostat getting 23 again on hwy mebe more.but it was throwing a code

15

Drain The Oil From Every Orifice you have & Replace it with Amsoil! I have a 2002 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 4.6 and currently get 17-18 City & 21-22 Highway. It currently only has 71000 miles on her.

20

Up grade your exhaust, keep plugs fresh, clean injectors with oil change, cold air intake. Drive with a lighter foot, Windows closed and a/c on. Last, get a TV cover for your bed, best thing to cut drag and drag is your worst enemy. I have a 2010 F150 Supercrew with a 5.4L. I get 16 city and 22 highway and 24 highway when it's flat and low traffic. Can't ask for better.

10

My 02 F150 Lariat 5.4 gets me ~18mpg on average. Most of my trips are straight shot highway 55mph 10-30 miles (i live and work on a narrow peninsula). When I go to Houston I average closer to 20mpg. Stock with 248673 miles

10

I have a 2010 f150 5.4. New exhaust system and K & N air kit. I have been getting around 13 for city and 17/18 for highway. Any suggestions to improve mileage

10

Click your heels 3 times and say, "Be a Corolla Be a Corolla Be a Corolla"

If you follow behind a big rig (not too close) on interstates You can get better mileage.

25

You need to be carefull with what you install if you have warnity check with your service it could void the warnity if not a cold air unit will help your tires wider tires look good but will hurt your MPG more drag