ford explorer wont start

Asked by Jun 11, 2013 at 09:08 PM about the Ford Explorer

I ran out of gas in my 2008 ford explorer.I put 25 dollars in and not it wont crank without starter fluid  and then it just dies as soon as the started fluid burns out

97,065

Possible burned up fuel pump in the tank. Always keep no less than 1/4 fuel level as the fuel is how the pump stays cool. Do you hear the pump run for a few seconds when you just turn the key on?

505

if it ran out of gas check the fuel pump shut off switch it may need to be reset the switch should be on the passenger side by the door under the kick panel

19,370

Most, if not all new cars today, have fuel injection. Just like diesels had forty years ago. You really do not want to run out of gas. Bleeding the lines by cranking can be a problem.

19,370

Tennisshoes has a point. Like most pressure washers, lubrication is supplied by the water being pumped. Starting a pressure washer without having the water turned on will burn up the pump quickly. Fuel pumps may operate the same.

19,370

The first question is: Are you sure you just ran out of gasoline? The second is; how do you know?

1,275

If I was to take a guess, you vapor-locked your high-pressure fuel pump.Meaning that you might have a weak high pressure. Vapor locking is typically found in carbed vehicles. But has been found in fuel injected motors. The carburator is set to vaporize liquid fuel and couldn't handle fuel already vaporized and the car would stop. You'd open the hood and wait for the motor to cool or for a quicker fix carry water in the car to dump on the fuel lines to cool them and then fire up the car and be off. Fuel at higher pressures does not vaporize in the fuel lines and modern cars with fuel injection all use high pressure systems. To get vapor lock in your car you'd need a problem such as a weak fuel pump that is not producing the high pressures it is supposed to generate. Instead of vapor lock what is more common in today's cars is the electrical components overheat and heat kills electronic things pretty fast.

6,685

Well, nobody has mentioned the fuel injectors. Running out of gas will suck up all the crud that's in the bottom of your gas tank. Now all the new cars have plastic gas tanks so your tank won't rust from the inside but the gas station that you get your gas from might not have a plastic storage tank and even if it does, there is a lot of crud in that tank as well and if they run them down low, a lot of dirt and crud can get sucked up into YOUR tank too from the gas pumps. Once in your tank it will settle on the bottom of the tank but when you run your tank down low or out then your fuel pump will suck up all that and push it thru your fuel lines into your fuel injectors clogging them solid. All that crud will clog a fuel injector in 2 seconds and can clog it to the point that nothing will get thru it. You will probably need your injectors cleaned to get your Explorer to run again, they might be plugged up solid. I would pull one to check first before worrying about pulling the fuel tank and fuel pump apart. It's a lot easier and less dangerous to change or clean the fuel injectors than it is to drop the fuel tank and fool with the fuel pump. Good luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

55

my ford explorer 2002 horn is not working when i press the horn a tik king coming from the rear panel i open the panel i saw a small box i think it is like a small computer box the sound is coming from. please i need help to fix it thank youuuuu...

120

My ford Explorer want crank I drove it last nite and park it whats the problem

90

1998 ford explorer new fuel pump new pressure senor still can't get gas flow to engine help

19,370

Has the fuel filter been changed in the past sixteen years. Could be clogged.

65

change the gas filter/ pull the air filter off the carb and spray starting fluid or pour a little gas in the butterfly(thing that spins inside the carb) and if you bend up and look down the carb while it runs for the couple seconds have the second person pump the gas pedal and if you can see fuel spraying through the fuel jets and it still dies carb is bad but if you cant see fuel shooting thick streams through the carb then the fuel pump vacuum hoses are shot or cloged or someone put the pump in worng