1998 escort- A/C compressor and the cooling fan will not turn off unless i pull the fuse to reset it

20

Asked by Sep 21, 2013 at 05:47 PM about the Ford Escort

I have a 1998 Ford Escort and when I turn on the A/C, the cooling fan comes on also like it should. The problem is is when i turn it off, the compressor and the cooling fan continues to run even when the selector switch is in the off position. The climate control module has been replaced and it made no difference at all. The only clue I can give you is, if I remove the A/C fuse from the fuse block, the compressor and fan shut off, but if I turn it back on again, I have to continue to remove and put back in the fuse to reset it ........does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

66,305

Sounds like a shorted switch on the dash or the wiring going to the switch is shorted so current is always going to the compressor. Also check all the other fuses. Sometimes when a fuse blows it will allow current to "bleed" through to another circuit. HTH. -Jim

20

Thats what i was thinking too, the odd thing is, when i take out the fuse and put it back in the compressor doesnt come back on until i turn it back on with the selector switch. I will try pulling out the control switch and see how that looks. Just curious why pulling the fuse and putting it back in stops the problem. I will check other fues and see if there is bleed back.

66,305

Another thing that came to mind is a stuck relay. That can cause current to flow even when the switch on the dash is off. HTH. -Jim

20

Do you know is the cooling fan relay in the CCCM on an Escort ? Or is it external near the fan?

66,305

I believe, if I remember correctly, it's near the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger's side. HTH. - Jim

325

Not sure which model escort you have but if it is the DOHC 2.0L coupe zx2 model it sounds like a bad relay(s) in the CCRM (I know for a fact the 2 door coupes this would be the case) as I've been down this road with mine. You can get a replacement CCRM which goes under the air filter box for approximately $88 Cardone Relay Control Module - Remanufactured Part No. 73-70027.

20

I have replaced the CCCM twice once with a new one and with a known good used one

20

Found the issue....the CCRM must have went out before i bought the car. So they just ran a hot wire to the low pressure switch to make it run. When I replaced the CCRM due to a code issue, the hot wire they ran caused back feeding throught the AC relay. I removed the hot wire and it was fixed. Thanks for the input guys!

66,305

Awesome!! Glad you fixed it!! Thanks for letting us know. -Jim