ford econoline is turning over but wont start. changed ignition coil and battery. can smell fuel when turning any ideas?

5

Asked by Jun 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM about the Ford Econoline Cargo

45

Try shooting ether in the carb and if it fires a little but quits you probably have water in your gas (especially if it has sit for awhile). If it does then dump in a can of dry gas or gasoline antifreeze in your tank for the ez fix. If it doesn't work you'll have to drain you tank.

3,375

did it run up to that point and just quit or has it been sitting for years ? what year / engine , does it have ? how many miles ? why did you change the coil ? I think you started at the wrong end . Does it have spark now ? the gas yor smelling is because it's FLOODED (too much fuel and No SPARK ) I 'm curious as to why you didn't just tune it up first . DO NOT SPRAY ETHER IN THE CARB ! yOU ARE SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO A FUCKING BOMB !!! Find out if you have spark to the plugs frst . Pull the coil wire out of the dist cap but leave the other end connected to the coil . arrange the brass connector so it's about 1/8 inch away from a non fuel ladden ground but not touching the brass . do not hold the wire ! Now crank the motor and watch /listen for a spark (sparks) if no sparks I need more vehicle info Year / motor etc. If sparks are good then its on to the plugs . check all this and get back to me I gotta go eat my supper ... PBN

3,375

Ok, fish sandwich was good . Now the next question is gonna tell me what kind of mechanic you are . I've got an idea already . please surprise me in a pleasnt way . Take off the dist cap by prying the two clips off the sides of the cap with thumbs or a screwdriver . DO NOT PRY ON OR AGAinst the cap it will break ! we need to know if ya got points or electronic ign , so pull the rotor , (the thing that looks like a pointer ) and see if it's burnt up at the center and /or side contact . turn the dist cap upside down carefully so none of the wires come off and look for carbon tracks (black lines going from the center of the top down the sides usually to a spot right next to either of the side clips that hold the cap on to the dist. any of the above problems will make it not start . look in the center of the dist . the shinny plate down in there , does it have a set of points or does it have a thing that looks like a castle in a chess game ? castle is electronic ign . (replace spark box on drivers side fender ) 40 bucks at NAPA. Dura spark box is what ya want . If it has points take some 400 wet or dry sandpaper and fold it in half so the abrasive side is out on both sides . Open the points with a finger or small screwdriver just enough to slide the sand paper inbetween the contact surfaces ,. now let them close and pull the paper out slowly , do this a half dozen times or untill the opposing contact surfaces are fairly clean and reassemble . don't forget the rotor it only goes one way .(if your really sharp you paid attention which way it was pointing when you took it off so it's a no brainer to put it back on . (good mechanic) make sure it 's all the way down or you will bust the cap trying to latch it . ( stupid fuck ) Oh well you needed to get a new cap /rotor /plug wires /and sparkplugs anyway ... do not piece these components together ! get 'em all or get none ... gap the plugs at .035 , remove each wire on the cap one at a time , pay attention to the clocking of wires on the cap ( don't have one upside down and one right side up when you change the wires or it will be wrong ! and if you sprayed ETHER in it like that other idiot suggested it will blow up in your face when you try to start it now that you tuned it up like you should have done in the first place . RULE 1 never start a van with the motor cover off and the windos and doors shut ... EVER ! OK ? If it has points and they're shot get back to me and I will guide you through it slowly . were way ahead of ourselves . I still don't know what year it is ....AAAAHHHHH ... good luck ... PBN

705

ignition module or pick-up coil...wait, what year is it?

40

0verflooding check carb especially float

80

I have an questions

80

I have a ford 2000 e150 4.6 my van turns over but it won't start I checked the spark plugs but I'm not getting any fire . I changed the crank sensor and still it won't start can anyone help plz

20

Crank sensor

50

Here is a possible solution. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t20140_ds747348