91 ford econoline dies after 10 seconds

Asked by Apr 26, 2011 at 04:47 PM about the Ford Econoline Cargo

Hi - I have just joined this forum to see if anyone can offer some mechanical advice on a ford econoline 1991 model.

The last owner cut and the rejoined the fuel pipe as he thought it was running ruff after detecting a split - presumably he cut out the spit out and then rejoined at the cut ends. After rejoining, he couldn't get it to run for longer than 10-20 seconds (about 1 - 3ft driving distance).  I managed to get the van delivered to my yard in hope of fixing and saving it.

I'm no mechanic, but willing to get stuck in if anyone an offer direction

The van starts okay and everything else seems to work. Once started, you can rev it and drive a few feet before everything simply dies.

Can anyone offer some advise on what this may be, if it is either a known or a common problem, which parts i should examine first and any other suggestion that may help diagnose the root of the problem.

Many thanks for your time and help.
BoxVan

first off cutting the line was the wrong thing to do,did he rejoint with metal pipe or rubber line,eather way it may have a pin hole in it causeing it to loose fuel pressure,you really need to replace the whole line,and replace the fuel filter,it is also possable the injectors are cloged up.