transmission fluod flush/change

120

Asked by May 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM about the Ford E-250

Hi, just purchased 2004 Ford e250 with 170,000 miles on it. The previous owner doesn't remember changing the transmission fluid. How to best to the fluid change without compromising the transmission inner parts? Thanks.

238,055

A drain and fill. Dropping the pan to drain what comes out, replace the filter and refill. That way you only replace around half of the fluid.

33,845

If you want to get all the old stuff out go to www.powerstrokediesel.co m. There's a process there that will get every last drop out. If you have the 6.0 diesel there's a world of knowledge there.

16,295

And do not flush it. Do what Tom said and look at BohoMark's reference too, but then I always drive it a day or two and then siphon out another 4 litres or so ( get out as much as the siphon will pull out), Just get a hand siphon pump ($20.00) some small enough tubing and go in through the filler tube. I'm also now running Dexron VI in my Dexron III car, it;s fully back compatible SO FORD's Newest might be likewise but check that out on Ford's website to be sure.

120

thank you all, ps. mine is a 4.6L gas

33,845

One more hint. When you change out the spark plugs. Do it in the dead of winter, outside and only after doing a lot of research. The threads in the aluminum heads strip super easy. There's a process that will reduce the chance of stripping them. BTW my 1999 Expedition had almost 260000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend. It's still running and he's still my friend.

120

What a surprise, I am stuck, perhaps you could respond quickly. I found some yellow plug with an o-ring on it on the bottom of the pan. I don't know where it came from. See the pic. Would you have a suggestion? Thanks.

345

Well if you found only that plug and not any metal in the pan or magnet you are in good shape...No one have ever done any maintenance to that transmission...If the fluid was clear and not black or with a burn smell you are ok...That plug is from the assembly plant...Is put there so no oil spills during engine and transmission installation....When they install the filling tube it just fall inside the tranny oil pan...nothing to worry about...thanks

16,295

that.s a throw away, it is used at the factory to aid assembly process and it just gets left in the pan.

120

I searched online and actually a lot of people got spooked by this little yellow monster. I was able to complete the job without any further surprises. Thanks guys for your responses.