2010 Ford E150 van. Where is the front blower motor resistor located?

Asked by Feb 10, 2014 at 07:50 AM about the Ford E-150

It's not behind the glove box like kit
is with the regular  trucks.

80

Behind the battery. You need to take out the battery, and the battery tray, then it's easy to access. Easy to swap out. In my case, it didn't solve the problem. So I had to replace the blower motor too. That sits right beside it, and only 4 small bolts to remove it. The problem there is room. The evaporator for the air conditioner is in the way. So you need to remove two bolts that hold it to the side of the vehicle. An extension for the socket wrench and universal joint help greatly in getting a socket on the bolts. If you have these, not too bad. If not, it might be kind of difficult. Then carefully take off the squirrel cage and put on the new blower motor and put back in. One thing to check if you are doing this, my blower motor didn't come with a new seal, so I had to reuse the old one. They are foam rubber glued to the blower motor frame. There is no way to get it off cleanly, but it was Sunday night, stores were closed, and I had to have it working for my wife as I was leaving town in the am. Not pretty, but it will do the job. Save yourself the hassle and buy a new seal if your blower motor does not come with one. Note - There is a vacuum line that blows cool air on the blower motor. Easy/obvious to swap over to the new motor - just make sure you do it so the new motor does not overheat. Then it all worked, wife is happy, life is good. I know this sounds complicated, but it's not that bad. I spent hours online looking for direction on how to do it or at least where they were, and found nothing and had to figure everything out myself. Should have just spent my time working on the truck. No power tools or air ratchets and I was still able to do the whole thing in about an hour and a half, counting putting all my tools back away. Might have wasted $30 on a resister, but maybe that is what caused the motor to go bad? For the money, I have new parts and hopefully all will work for many years. Though at 4 years old, and 32,000 miles, I don't think I should have had to replace it yet. Many cars with over 100,000, or pushing 200K and never had to replace these things before. But at the end of the day, a $75 repair and 2 hours counting the run to NAPA. As car repairs go, especially electrical issues, this was cheap and easy. Just the way I like em.

30

Thx jirvine, knowing where that resistor is will help!! I'm having blower motor issues on a 2010 e 150 as well. The speed is stuck on low. Would there be an easier way to troubleshoot this other than taking the dash off and switching the plugs? Kinda want to stay away from throwing parts at it....

80

Seems like if you knew what the numbers were supposed to be, you could test parts with a multi-meter, but I looked and could not find anything. Ours would blow on low only, or nothing no matter where the fan selector switch was positioned, so the problem sounds very similar. NAPA guessed it was the resister, which made sense to me, but that didn't fix it. Changing the fan motor did. I just decided that for $30, it was not worth more of my time searching for an answer I could not find. I considered keeping the old resister for future issues, or putting the old one back in with the new blower motor, but worried one might have caused problems with the other, I elected to leave well enough alone, be happy I was fully functional and I tossed both the old parts. Now I regret it, because at least I should have tested the new vs old to see if I could find a difference and post the results here to help others. I was running out of daylight and just didn't think of it at the time. Sorry.