2003 E-150 Real axle problem

Asked by Nov 07, 2011 at 02:14 PM about the Ford E-150

On the 2003, the trans-axle had axle tubes connected to it, and at the end of each tube is installed a roller bearing.  The bearing does not have an inner race, so the bearings run directly on the axle.
I had the axle go out, and when I pulled it, the bearings had eaten into the axle, allowing it to rise up, and thus break the seal on the bottom so the oil started running out.

I bought a new axle kit that came with the axle, bearing and seal, and installed them.  The bearing seem a little tight to me, but since it came with the axle, I figured it was OK.  As soon as I drove it on the freeway, the axle hub plate got too hot to touch.  I did have a leak on the front seal of the trans-axle, but had only lost about 4 oz. of oil, and the driver side hub was cool, so I am pretty sure the oil wasn't the problem.

I would sure like to know if anyone can shed any light on what the problem might be. I can get a new axle and try again, but don't want this to just happen again.

first did you pack the bearing in high temp bearing greese.2nd check the break on that side,if it is adjusted to tight or stuck,not releaseing it will heat it up.the bearing is supposed to be snug on the axle.so no problem their.

Thanks Papa for your reply. I did not pack the bearing in grease because it is lubricated by the oil in the differential. The oil fills the axle tubes as well as the differential. when the old axle got cut into enough, it raised up into the bearing, and became UN-centered in the oil seal, causing the seal to leak on the bottom. I set the breaks by hand pretty close, but still was easily able to turn the wheel. Then I used the back up/ hit the brake method to cause the auto adjuster to set the shoes to the proper position . . .at least I believe this was the way to do it. Any more input you might have will be much appreciated!

A bearing still needs to be greassed,I would still look into the tightiness of the break.