why do i have air in the fuel lines and no fuel

Asked by Jan 03, 2015 at 02:11 AM about the Ford Bronco II

i have a 86 bronco ii 2.9l xlt 4x4 and im gettin air in my fuel system but no fuel iv put
around 4 gallons in it [i think it rain out my gauge is not right] and cycled the key several
times and it never picked it up and i can here the pump on the frame rail kick in and i
disconnected the line at the filter and only got air out

8,840

does that have a lift pump and sender in the tank to feed the frame rail pump? There are other components present in those older systems. I have seen where a weak pump was reprimed with compressed air into the tank fill. I have also seen where a canister valve was mistaken for a spin on filter. I think having the components identified is very important for this bro. II

8,840

These things were problematic when they were new even, and replacement parts were difficult to order. we had to get undisturbed tag numbers off parts to identify which set up was there. I recall issues with valves, and that black plastic cup looking part. it is shorter than a fuel tank selector valve. it does not disassemble after a certain year. it is expensive. you need the book from a dealer or a reference library unless you can find drawings that help. to be absolutely sure. that is.

8,840

But adding compressed air to the tank above the liquid can get a weakened lift pump going again. beating on top of the tank can get it spinning again. Then you have both problems diagnosed,( 9H307) pump and sender.

i think it has a lift pump in the tank and im not sure about the canister valve it has a filter past the pump on the frame rail going to the engine that has the disconnect clips on it this is whats on my frame rail http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php? s=70f10a1e1df8d815efb6d82f00fd08a8&attachmentid=10249&d=1367 804695

8,840

Then your pump for high pressure may run, but your fuel must be available first. Thats why they were priming the tank with compressed air when I watched, their lift pump had failed but still barely ran. they verified their diagnosis quickly by priming the supply circuit. sealing around their air supply with shop towels, they created a pressure on top of the liquid. Since gas was available in the tank, it started a siphon thru the failed lift pump and primed the rail pump. then they bled the injectors and started it. Then the tech went to parts for a price on a 9H307 pump and sender assy...............I have that link here but cannot click on it. Since a Bro II does not have a second tank, there should not be a valve block in play. I was mentioning the black plastic canister because i did not want you to try opening it in the event there is one on your year. Having trouble remembering what was in there. but the small pickups of ranger platform used it on occasion thru the time we had troubles with them and I recall older stuff having a filter and newer stuff having the sealed unit with same appearance.

8,840

Makes sense you have an FG800 filter on the rail with clips and change it as often as you have trouble with todays gas or every 15K.