buying a bronco?

Asked by Apr 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM about the Ford Bronco II

im thinking about buying a 89 bronco 2 with the 2.9 in it. any info on how dependable they are? its just
going to be a trail rig but i dont want anything under powered or something thats gonna break all the
time.

3,715

we use an 87 ford ranger with a 2.6 in it, and it is a pretty dependable little truck, it has power too. the only problem i could think of is the touch drive 4x4, ours has that, and i dont know what happened, but the 4x4 light wont turn on, and wont let us just lock in the hubs...

94,935

I did own one of these, the engine is not that powerful, so don't go crazy with it, it also has some valve train problems as the mileage gets up there, biggest problem were the valve covers leaking oil, the gaskets would only last about a year and a half before they would start leaking, tried high heat cork, silicone rubber, even tried factory gaskets, nothing would last. Also the autoshift motor for the transfer case stuck and had to be replaced, but they told me that that is a common problem. But it never quit running, I never had any ignition or fuel trouble with it. It always started and ran. I do believe that good maintenance kept it alive. Sold it last year with 189000 on it.

10

I just broke 300,000 miles on my '90 Bronco II :- ) I put in a Jasper rebuilt engine in it at 176,000 and have used Amsoil synthetic (the first and only REAL 100% synthetic oil) after a few thousand. Runs like a champ. Put Amsoil products in the transmission and differential and use the PI fuel cleaner. Worth every penny. Any vehicle will last if you do regular maintenance of ALL components with quality products.