Alternator Squeal causes

Asked by Feb 21, 2010 at 04:02 PM about the Geo Metro

I own a '97 and '99 Metro and both have begun to squeal upon starting. The squeal quits after a few miles, but is annoying. I have changed tension on the belt that drives the alternator with no success. Do the water pump bearings exhibit this problem?

Indiana Bones

you bet they do. could also be that you have oil leaking onto the belt is a really really common problem. for the time being try turning all of the features on defrost, headlights...etc while it warms up then when you take off switch them all off and give it rev and she should catch.

i would check to see if its a bad belt maybe try replacing it. i have same problem but mine is from running my kc fogs and stereo, geos have a very week alternator and dont put out lots of power so the belt will squeal if you have an open connection, a dien battery/ alternator. or runnin to much power like me.

I've had this same problem on many early metros [narrow belt type] Front seal leaking oil and getting on the belt. not re-snugging up the tension after installing a new belt.and I've also had alternators that were just a bit tight. The easiest way to checkt out is take the belt off and give the alternator a spin and see if it spins a few revolutions before it stops. If it doesn't replace the alternator.

Debra Snow

I've changed the belt on ac and alternator.