coil replacement?

50

Asked by Feb 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM about the Toyota RAV4

2006 RAV4, 6 cyl.  VSC, check engine, traction lights all came on.  Diagnosis is bad coil.  Garage wants to replace 6 coils and plugs.  Good idea?

The OEM Denso iridium spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. But if it is getting near that, might as well go ahead and replace them, you have to take the coil off anyway to do so. As for replacing all 6, it probably is a good idea too. They are about $120 or so, plus labor for all 6 (I know, easy for me to say it's not my money), then you won't have to worry about it. By the way, it has nothing to do with VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) and Traction Control

49,295

Miles on the vehicle?

50

Thanks, FordNut and Bob. FordNut--garage says all 3 warning lights--which appeared simultaneously--indicate same thing. Should I be concerned about VSC and Traction Control, too? Bob-62,000 approx.

Well, they don't. No way. The Traction Control, which works with VSC needs to be diagnosed what caused the light to come on. And it's not ignition coil(s). It has to do with wheel speed sensors, and applying power or brake to a wheel when the wheel speed sensor detects that a wheel is not spinning at the rpm it should be for the speed your Rav4 is going. And I retract my answer, I made an assumption that it had far more miles than 62k. (And we all know what happens when we assume). The spark plugs are barely half through their expected life-span, could be he can't isolate which coil it is and wants to replace all. But they can be tested. Find the faulty one, have it replaced and forget spark plugs, a good OBDII scan can detect which cylinder is misfiring, and there is your bad coil For example P0301 is misfire cylinder 1, P0302 is misfire cylinder #2 and so on

49,295

Totally agree with FordNut. There may be other issues with your vehicle. If it had 100,000 or more miles I'd say change the plugs and all of the coils, but at 62,000 miles get the faulty coil isolated and replaced. I doubt that the bad coil is causing the other issue, but you never know.

50

Thanks, guys. Very much appreciate your time and expertise. This is my first visit to your site. I find it extremely helpful and efficient. thanks, ian

4,675

No replace only the bad coil! Also get OBD scanner check codes yourself! Autozone will lend you one and show you how to use it! Now you will know exactly which cylinder is bad! Also after all work done borrow the Scanner and reset your engine light! Autozone will not show you how to do it! Either watch a video on youtube or google the brand they let you borrow and look at the pdf file on how to turn off (reset) the engine light!

4,675

VSC and Traction control could be a bad gas cap! Take cap off turn back on till one click is heard! Then, disconnect positive battery cable for 1 minute reconnect be careful not to overtighten get it on snug so it doesnt move! Start car see if lights go off! If not OBD SCANNER TIME TO PULL CODES!

Toyota told me that the VSC and traction lights come on with the engine light as they no longer work due to the coil issue. Also the cruise control doesn't function for the same reason. Stu

I am dealing with the same issue for the second time. I had a coil pack go bad under warranty and was replaced for free. When it wend bad, a warning light cam on, the car had a very noticeable shudder, then the check engine light and VSC warning came on. It was the coil pack both times and no I am about to replace them all since I am over 100k miles.