2011 Toyota RAV 4 engine light is on, 4WD light is on and the traction control light is on. What is going on here?

170

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 08:23 PM about the Toyota RAV4

We own a 2011 RAV4 with 27,000 mile on it.  This morning, the check engine light, 4WD
light and the traction control light all came on.  We are religious with our service work so
this caught us by surprise.  What is going on here?

35,405

Take it to AutoZone and see if they can get a code.

170

Do you have a RAV of this year and the same issues? I am just trying to see if we are alone here with this situation. Thanks

35,405

No I don't. Try disconnecting the battery for about a half an hour. If the car's computer has a glitch that will clear it out. Just remember, you may have to put the radio code back in it. So be sure to have that handy. Let me know if it worked.

170

Thank you.

820

We have a 2011 Rav4 and all of those lights came on while we were driving tonight. We'll be calling the dealership tomorrow, but wondering if you could shed some light ... I'm a little nervous about driving it. Thank you.

340

I have a 2010 Rav4 and our 4x4, traction control and check engine lights came on about two months ago. We took it to the dealership today. They said it may be an oxygen sensor

35,405

Did they hook it up to a diagnosis machine or just guess?

400

I have the same exact problem today. Check engine, 4wd and traction control light all on at the same time.

140

My shop said the Oxygen sensor #2 needed replacing, they are degraded by ethanol in the gas. Said they have seen more of these failing earlier than they should, due to ethanol

220

I have a 2010 rav4 with 75000 miles and this happened to me 3 times. They will stay on for 2 or 3 days then go off on their own

70

checked at auto zone ...coil problem at 33000 miles new coils all fixed 2012 rav4 but something fishy

120

I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 and the same 3 lights came on, and my mechanic got them turned off. It happened again a week later and he put the scope on and said it was the oxygen sensor. So I got it put in ($230). 2 weeks later and it is on again. Took it back and it will go in for a deeper investigation. I say make noise and tell Toyota this is not cool. It should be corrected free of charge since so many are experiencing the same thing. If it doesn't get solved, this poor single woman is switching brands..

100

I had the same issue. 4wd, trac off and check engine. Got the code p0455. The gas cap was loose! http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0455.html

30

Just got 2011 rav4 37000 miles why at light traction light comes on then off maybe toyota needs do a recall

120

I have a 2012 Rav4 and this happened to me in Dec. I had the O2 sensor replaced and it came on again 2 weeks later so I went back to my mechanic and they replaced the sensor as it was under warranty. That day the 3 lights came on again. I went to my dealership and they said for $87 they would run a diagnostic. My mechanic has done this twice since and comes up with the same code. Toyota says "we have certified mechanics". I get that but I trust my mechanic completely. Toyota says this isn't a known issue. Wrong again. I have been to many blog sites on this issue and there are many of us. I have under 55,000 miles and guarantee that I will never own another Toyota after the way I have been treated on this deal.

30

I'm an avid fan of Toyota cars. However, dashboard lights came on while driving. The lights were the following: Traction light, 4 wheel drive, engine light :I had diagnostic testing done and I was told it's probably the oxygen sensor Hmm. It seems like " oxygen sensor problems are becoming to be so popular .Toyota corporation ro you have any connent? Should you have recalls on this?

30

I have an 07 rav 4 same three lights and code says oxygen sensor. I also am told to replace flow meter at same time but see online this only helps for short time and all lights on again. Issue here is that when the rav senses an issue, it shuts down the capability to go to 4wd and the traction control and stability control no longer work. Toyota says for 'safety' . Well I need my 4wd every winter...wrecked it twice due to no 4wd(well partially cuz of 4wd) TOYOTA NEEDS TO FIX ISSUE

40

My 2007 RAV4 warning lights came on "maintenance required, 4wd, and vsd exactly at 85000 miles" made an appointment for '$110 per hour" to "run diagnostics ". Lights went off after 2 days so I cancelled appointment. I have kept up with all maintenance. Hmmmm....

20

Thanks everyone for their input, i have a 2011 Rav4 with same issue ENGINE/4WD lights on.

70

I have a 2010 Rav4. Engine light, 4WD & traction lights came on this week-end. Just had an inspection done and other work for over $1K was necessary but this? Kind of glad we there's a site to see other drivers having same issues.

10

I have the same issue. I have never run mid-grade gasoline before, but there is some in this tank. I think that might be the problem. I am going to check my gas cap too to see if it is loose. Thank you for sharing. I will see if the lights go off in a couple of days too.

70

Brought it to the dealer: $90 for diagnosis. Result: EP500 in history. No more lights on. What the heck does this mean?

40

I have a 2012 Rav4 and I have the same exact problem today. Check engine, 4wd and traction control light all on at the same time.

40

I scan it, the error code is P0607.

10

I have been having the same problem on my 2012 RAV4 since October. It would often come and go, and not appear for a month or two. It has occurred 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I usually would just erase the code,but i wanna see what this is. I am bringing it to my mechanic this week. I will let you guys know what they tell me. I did get a pending code P0138 but it went away. The car only has 50,000 miles.

10

hi All i have same issues i get engine management light comes as well as TRC, this was happens randomly Specially on Motor way reduce is the speed and cant go above 70mph, i took advice from the Toyota and they said it your Catalytic converter is blocked and you can clean i have to change it, it will cost £600. its special parts from Dealers ONLY, so Toyota played game. one thing i have learned is never by Toyota again. one thing to try is look at your Water supply bottle is it supplying water correctly cause this can cause engine to slow down while we have EM Lights on save the engine getting hot. ATUL

20

I have a 2007 and my check engine light, stability control light and 4 wheel drive light came on after driving it Saturday in a heavy rain storm parked it and didnt drive it till yesterday evening when the lights came any ideas to why....ty

10

Ernie, the same thing happened to me with my 2012 - heavy rain last night, and now the 4w, trac off and check engine lights are on. I was hoping they would turn off when things dried out, but no luck yet.

Have 2009 RAV...exact same lights...trac control, 4 wd, check engine light.........problem has been going on for almost 10 months....couldn't afford 600 dollars dealer wanted to fix it.....lights will go off for several weeks then come back on randomly......got following codes...C1201, C1241, P0137, P0138, P0607, 1280, 1241...................vehicle is running ok but have strange noise coming from underneath........got letter from Toyota regarding growl type noise from rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing.........have had Rav at shop 3 times and they deny the noise is coming rom the differential and refuse to change part ! Have kept driving it because it all I have but am ready to give up.......Toyota doesn't care. I have watched the lights on dash to see if there is any correlation between weather and their coming on but haven't been able to find any. sorry for writing a book but I am frustrated......had a corolla for over 100,000 miles then my daughter ran it to over 200,000 miles....it was great but this Rav has me ready to run from Toyota. Help...I really need the lights taken care of but cant put a lot of money into something nobody seems to be able to fix.

Same lights came on on my 2012 RAV4 V-6, 55k miles. Dealer says O2 sensor B2 S2. I just replaced it this morning with a Denso 234-4261 but the lights are still on. I'm hoping they go out after a few starts.