2011 Toyota RAV 4 engine light is on, 4WD light is on and the traction control light is on. What is going on here?

200

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 08:23 PM about the Toyota RAV4

We own a 2011 RAV4 with 27,000 mile on it.  This morning, the check engine light, 4WD
light and the traction control light all came on.  We are religious with our service work so
this caught us by surprise.  What is going on here?

36,495

Take it to AutoZone and see if they can get a code.

200

Do you have a RAV of this year and the same issues? I am just trying to see if we are alone here with this situation. Thanks

36,495

No I don't. Try disconnecting the battery for about a half an hour. If the car's computer has a glitch that will clear it out. Just remember, you may have to put the radio code back in it. So be sure to have that handy. Let me know if it worked.

200

Thank you.

1,000

We have a 2011 Rav4 and all of those lights came on while we were driving tonight. We'll be calling the dealership tomorrow, but wondering if you could shed some light ... I'm a little nervous about driving it. Thank you.

400

I have a 2010 Rav4 and our 4x4, traction control and check engine lights came on about two months ago. We took it to the dealership today. They said it may be an oxygen sensor

36,495

Did they hook it up to a diagnosis machine or just guess?

530

I have the same exact problem today. Check engine, 4wd and traction control light all on at the same time.

160

My shop said the Oxygen sensor #2 needed replacing, they are degraded by ethanol in the gas. Said they have seen more of these failing earlier than they should, due to ethanol

230

I have a 2010 rav4 with 75000 miles and this happened to me 3 times. They will stay on for 2 or 3 days then go off on their own

70

checked at auto zone ...coil problem at 33000 miles new coils all fixed 2012 rav4 but something fishy

170

I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 and the same 3 lights came on, and my mechanic got them turned off. It happened again a week later and he put the scope on and said it was the oxygen sensor. So I got it put in ($230). 2 weeks later and it is on again. Took it back and it will go in for a deeper investigation. I say make noise and tell Toyota this is not cool. It should be corrected free of charge since so many are experiencing the same thing. If it doesn't get solved, this poor single woman is switching brands..

110

I had the same issue. 4wd, trac off and check engine. Got the code p0455. The gas cap was loose! http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0455.html

50

Just got 2011 rav4 37000 miles why at light traction light comes on then off maybe toyota needs do a recall

170

I have a 2012 Rav4 and this happened to me in Dec. I had the O2 sensor replaced and it came on again 2 weeks later so I went back to my mechanic and they replaced the sensor as it was under warranty. That day the 3 lights came on again. I went to my dealership and they said for $87 they would run a diagnostic. My mechanic has done this twice since and comes up with the same code. Toyota says "we have certified mechanics". I get that but I trust my mechanic completely. Toyota says this isn't a known issue. Wrong again. I have been to many blog sites on this issue and there are many of us. I have under 55,000 miles and guarantee that I will never own another Toyota after the way I have been treated on this deal.

50

I'm an avid fan of Toyota cars. However, dashboard lights came on while driving. The lights were the following: Traction light, 4 wheel drive, engine light :I had diagnostic testing done and I was told it's probably the oxygen sensor Hmm. It seems like " oxygen sensor problems are becoming to be so popular .Toyota corporation ro you have any connent? Should you have recalls on this?

40

I have an 07 rav 4 same three lights and code says oxygen sensor. I also am told to replace flow meter at same time but see online this only helps for short time and all lights on again. Issue here is that when the rav senses an issue, it shuts down the capability to go to 4wd and the traction control and stability control no longer work. Toyota says for 'safety' . Well I need my 4wd every winter...wrecked it twice due to no 4wd(well partially cuz of 4wd) TOYOTA NEEDS TO FIX ISSUE

60

My 2007 RAV4 warning lights came on "maintenance required, 4wd, and vsd exactly at 85000 miles" made an appointment for '$110 per hour" to "run diagnostics ". Lights went off after 2 days so I cancelled appointment. I have kept up with all maintenance. Hmmmm....

60

Thanks everyone for their input, i have a 2011 Rav4 with same issue ENGINE/4WD lights on.

110

I have a 2010 Rav4. Engine light, 4WD & traction lights came on this week-end. Just had an inspection done and other work for over $1K was necessary but this? Kind of glad we there's a site to see other drivers having same issues.

30

I have the same issue. I have never run mid-grade gasoline before, but there is some in this tank. I think that might be the problem. I am going to check my gas cap too to see if it is loose. Thank you for sharing. I will see if the lights go off in a couple of days too.

110

Brought it to the dealer: $90 for diagnosis. Result: EP500 in history. No more lights on. What the heck does this mean?

120

I have a 2012 Rav4 and I have the same exact problem today. Check engine, 4wd and traction control light all on at the same time.

120

I scan it, the error code is P0607.

20

I have been having the same problem on my 2012 RAV4 since October. It would often come and go, and not appear for a month or two. It has occurred 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I usually would just erase the code,but i wanna see what this is. I am bringing it to my mechanic this week. I will let you guys know what they tell me. I did get a pending code P0138 but it went away. The car only has 50,000 miles.

10

hi All i have same issues i get engine management light comes as well as TRC, this was happens randomly Specially on Motor way reduce is the speed and cant go above 70mph, i took advice from the Toyota and they said it your Catalytic converter is blocked and you can clean i have to change it, it will cost £600. its special parts from Dealers ONLY, so Toyota played game. one thing i have learned is never by Toyota again. one thing to try is look at your Water supply bottle is it supplying water correctly cause this can cause engine to slow down while we have EM Lights on save the engine getting hot. ATUL

40

I have a 2007 and my check engine light, stability control light and 4 wheel drive light came on after driving it Saturday in a heavy rain storm parked it and didnt drive it till yesterday evening when the lights came any ideas to why....ty

10

Ernie, the same thing happened to me with my 2012 - heavy rain last night, and now the 4w, trac off and check engine lights are on. I was hoping they would turn off when things dried out, but no luck yet.

30

Have 2009 RAV...exact same lights...trac control, 4 wd, check engine light.........problem has been going on for almost 10 months....couldn't afford 600 dollars dealer wanted to fix it.....lights will go off for several weeks then come back on randomly......got following codes...C1201, C1241, P0137, P0138, P0607, 1280, 1241...................vehicle is running ok but have strange noise coming from underneath........got letter from Toyota regarding growl type noise from rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing.........have had Rav at shop 3 times and they deny the noise is coming rom the differential and refuse to change part ! Have kept driving it because it all I have but am ready to give up.......Toyota doesn't care. I have watched the lights on dash to see if there is any correlation between weather and their coming on but haven't been able to find any. sorry for writing a book but I am frustrated......had a corolla for over 100,000 miles then my daughter ran it to over 200,000 miles....it was great but this Rav has me ready to run from Toyota. Help...I really need the lights taken care of but cant put a lot of money into something nobody seems to be able to fix.

Same lights came on on my 2012 RAV4 V-6, 55k miles. Dealer says O2 sensor B2 S2. I just replaced it this morning with a Denso 234-4261 but the lights are still on. I'm hoping they go out after a few starts.

I have same problem in rainy day but 1 or 2 days after the problem was solved and the light were off. I think the problem related to sensor under the car when it was wet.

10

Mine came on after an Oil Change service. Did not notice when I left as it was sunny out and did not notice the lights on. Was hoping to resolve this myself instead of spending two hours taking it back....

20

Just had my 80,000 major service, 2012 Rav 4 and guess what lights are on for service and traction control

10

Had the same problem with my 2011 Rav 4, Was told to check my gas cap, did that and 50 miles later the light went off and didn't come back on

20

We bought our 2011 Rav4 new. The first winter, on the coldest night of the year, the same 3 lights came on. I disconnected the battery for a while and they were gone. The next winter the light came on again - again on the coldest night of the year. Happened once every year, when it was frigidly cold. Each time they stayed on until I disconnected the battery. Then it came on twice a year. Last winter it came on a few times, and it was not nearly as cold. Then it started coming on when we'd hit a bump so I knew I finally had enough consistency for someone to find the problem. Took it to Toyota and they said it was a sensor and replaced it. The lights were off for less than a week. So they replaced the "other" sensor. It lasted about 3 weeks. $600+ spent needlessly. Clearly they are just guessing. I told them up front it has to be a bad connection somewhere based on the problem starting when it was super cold, and progressing to less cold, and then to bumps. But customers' observations mean nothing. Going elsewhere to find a solution. Toyota mechanics seem to know nothing more about Toyotas than other, less expensive mechanics.

10

i have a 2011 with over 100K miles and experienced the same dash light issues (while driving in the rain). The Dealer re-set the code and now it is fine. They said my Code was a Camshaft something or other and that it can be caused by low oil, which I didn't have, or a small amount of dirt in the hydraulics.

I just got a 2010 Rav 4, the lights came on about a week later. My son is a mechanic and changed one of the sensors, the lights have since been off and on, especially after a heavy rain and now in the cold. He is Work I g on it now, code for a bad rear O2 sensor and he suspects a bad ECM. So glad I bought a good warranty with the car!

I have a 2011 RAV4 that has 95K miles on it and has been nearly problem free ... until now. I have the same lights on (Check Engine, TRAC, and 4WD) ... and am debating how to handle the issue. It sounds like Toyota is clueless or inconsistent or ambivalent or all of the above. I can't afford to spend a lot of money and time having them blindly chasing this problem and never solving it. My car is out of warrantee. I may try the dealer ... and insist they contact me before spending any money on repairs. Cold weather could be an issue here ... temps have been in the teens the past few nights with wind chills in the single digits. I had an issue a couple of years ago with visors breaking ... and found a similar thread online where lots of other people had the same problem. Toyota knew about it and refused to recall or replace. I had to pay out of pocket to replace them. If I get the same response here, maybe it's time to go Mazda or Nissan or Honda or something other than Toyota!? Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick!?

10

2006-2015 Toyota Rav4 Maint Req Indicator Light Reset: To turning off the Maintenance Light on 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 Toyota Rav4, conform to the following instructions: Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position, but do not start the engine If your car has START push-button , press the “Start” without touching the brake pedal. Press the odometer button (for 2006-2012 models), or DISP button (2013-2015) on steering wheel until you see “TRIP A” on the little screen Reset oil light toyota odo trip a Next, turn the ignition “off” Press and hold the Odometer / DISP button, and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position If your car has START push-button , press the “Start” twice without touching the brake pedal. Continue to hold down the Trip Odometer Reset button until “000000” MILES appears on the display and the maintenance light turns off. For more details, please watch the following video: This procedure should applies to the third generation of the Toyota Rav4 XA30 (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 models). Hopefully the article of 2006-2015 Toyota Rav4 Maint Req Indicator Light Reset usefull for you. Good Luck! https://seventrumpet.com/2006-2015-toyota-rav4-maint-req-indicator-light-reset/

10

also...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZtGpHf_tdA

10

I have the check engine, 4WD and traction control lights all come on during the following conditions: been driving car for over 30 minutes, temperatures below zero, speed approximately 40 mph and sudden acceleration. The lights came on and the car would not go over 20 mph after that. I was close to home so I drove the 2 blocks home. I always run non-ethanol gas in the car but just filled up about 50 miles ago. There is a possibility it was ethanol gas (price of gas led me to believe it was alcohol free). In the meantime I will clear the codes and see what happens next.

Bon....did that and is not helping at all....after doing so,alarms(mentioned indicators) are still reappearing.....

10

I had a friend come over with his code reader. My car was throwing a P2111. The throttle flap actuation (during the sudden acceleration) flipped open and knocked some debris loose. The debris would not allow the throttle flap to open and close properly. My friend cleaned the flap and cleared the codes. Car runs great now. Thanks everyone.

So,during last month(december)while driving all three lights-check engine,4WD light and the traction control light came on. Today went to see mechanic....he found following codes...C 1201 and P0201.... There is fault between injector#1 and ECU.However Im planing to switch #1 injector with #2 to find if it is problem with injectors or electronic...

My son has settled on a damaged ECM. Waiting to see if the extended warranty will cover it.

10

Hello Jen, At this point, if the Dealer is stumped, I would be asking the Dealer to replace the ECM like the previous entry did.

60

Definitely will bring this to their attention tomorrow. I plan on posting all updates on here in hopes to help others.

Low oil causes the light to come on.

When my Rav4 gets low in oil (oil below add line on dip stick) all three lights come on , check engine, 4WD light and the traction control light. When I top up the engine oil, the lights will not come on again until it runs low on oil again.

60

Okay ladies and gents I am happy to report this issue has been resolved on my vehicle. P0135 code, 02 Sensor, Bank 2 Sensor 2. Same code from the previous times. I had previously had the sensor changed (not by Toyota) and expressed my frustration to the Toyota dealership two days ago about changing it yet again. They somewhat assured me it would fix the problem but obviously cant make a guarantee. I left and within 20 minutes ( just like the last time) the CEL, 4wd and Trac lights came back on. I returned yesterday and this time P0136 code, Bank 2, sensor 1. I expressed frustration and reminded them ( I told you so!) Well they started digging, real deep. Apparently there was a Toyota Bulletin (not a recall) that stated that the sensor that is fine must be removed, the sensor that is bad replaced and then the sensor that was fine put back in or it will continue to kick the other sensor. Its almost like a hidden reset. Well, they were right. I drove about 2 hours since the repairs and the lights have not come back on.

10

Wow!, thanks for sharing Jennifer!

I have this problem in our 2011 RAV4 4 cylinder intermittently for several months now. Took it last week to the dealer who replaced the charcoal canister (about $2000 - covered by my extended warranty). Lights were off - until this morning. I'm going to tell him about the Bulletin Jennifer mentioned and see what they do.