2011 Toyota RAV 4 engine light is on, 4WD light is on and the traction control light is on. What is going on here?

220

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 08:23 PM about the Toyota RAV4

We own a 2011 RAV4 with 27,000 mile on it.  This morning, the check engine light, 4WD
light and the traction control light all came on.  We are religious with our service work so
this caught us by surprise.  What is going on here?

38,235

Take it to AutoZone and see if they can get a code.

220

Do you have a RAV of this year and the same issues? I am just trying to see if we are alone here with this situation. Thanks

38,235

No I don't. Try disconnecting the battery for about a half an hour. If the car's computer has a glitch that will clear it out. Just remember, you may have to put the radio code back in it. So be sure to have that handy. Let me know if it worked.

220

Thank you.

1,150

We have a 2011 Rav4 and all of those lights came on while we were driving tonight. We'll be calling the dealership tomorrow, but wondering if you could shed some light ... I'm a little nervous about driving it. Thank you.

430

I have a 2010 Rav4 and our 4x4, traction control and check engine lights came on about two months ago. We took it to the dealership today. They said it may be an oxygen sensor

38,235

Did they hook it up to a diagnosis machine or just guess?

650

I have the same exact problem today. Check engine, 4wd and traction control light all on at the same time.

160

My shop said the Oxygen sensor #2 needed replacing, they are degraded by ethanol in the gas. Said they have seen more of these failing earlier than they should, due to ethanol

250

I have a 2010 rav4 with 75000 miles and this happened to me 3 times. They will stay on for 2 or 3 days then go off on their own

70

checked at auto zone ...coil problem at 33000 miles new coils all fixed 2012 rav4 but something fishy

190

I have a 2012 Toyota Rav4 and the same 3 lights came on, and my mechanic got them turned off. It happened again a week later and he put the scope on and said it was the oxygen sensor. So I got it put in ($230). 2 weeks later and it is on again. Took it back and it will go in for a deeper investigation. I say make noise and tell Toyota this is not cool. It should be corrected free of charge since so many are experiencing the same thing. If it doesn't get solved, this poor single woman is switching brands..

170

I had the same issue. 4wd, trac off and check engine. Got the code p0455. The gas cap was loose! http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0455.html

50

Just got 2011 rav4 37000 miles why at light traction light comes on then off maybe toyota needs do a recall

190

I have a 2012 Rav4 and this happened to me in Dec. I had the O2 sensor replaced and it came on again 2 weeks later so I went back to my mechanic and they replaced the sensor as it was under warranty. That day the 3 lights came on again. I went to my dealership and they said for $87 they would run a diagnostic. My mechanic has done this twice since and comes up with the same code. Toyota says "we have certified mechanics". I get that but I trust my mechanic completely. Toyota says this isn't a known issue. Wrong again. I have been to many blog sites on this issue and there are many of us. I have under 55,000 miles and guarantee that I will never own another Toyota after the way I have been treated on this deal.

70

I'm an avid fan of Toyota cars. However, dashboard lights came on while driving. The lights were the following: Traction light, 4 wheel drive, engine light :I had diagnostic testing done and I was told it's probably the oxygen sensor Hmm. It seems like " oxygen sensor problems are becoming to be so popular .Toyota corporation ro you have any connent? Should you have recalls on this?

60

I have an 07 rav 4 same three lights and code says oxygen sensor. I also am told to replace flow meter at same time but see online this only helps for short time and all lights on again. Issue here is that when the rav senses an issue, it shuts down the capability to go to 4wd and the traction control and stability control no longer work. Toyota says for 'safety' . Well I need my 4wd every winter...wrecked it twice due to no 4wd(well partially cuz of 4wd) TOYOTA NEEDS TO FIX ISSUE

60

My 2007 RAV4 warning lights came on "maintenance required, 4wd, and vsd exactly at 85000 miles" made an appointment for '$110 per hour" to "run diagnostics ". Lights went off after 2 days so I cancelled appointment. I have kept up with all maintenance. Hmmmm....

80

Thanks everyone for their input, i have a 2011 Rav4 with same issue ENGINE/4WD lights on.

130

I have a 2010 Rav4. Engine light, 4WD & traction lights came on this week-end. Just had an inspection done and other work for over $1K was necessary but this? Kind of glad we there's a site to see other drivers having same issues.

30

I have the same issue. I have never run mid-grade gasoline before, but there is some in this tank. I think that might be the problem. I am going to check my gas cap too to see if it is loose. Thank you for sharing. I will see if the lights go off in a couple of days too.

130

Brought it to the dealer: $90 for diagnosis. Result: EP500 in history. No more lights on. What the heck does this mean?

160

I have a 2012 Rav4 and I have the same exact problem today. Check engine, 4wd and traction control light all on at the same time.

160

I scan it, the error code is P0607.

30

I have been having the same problem on my 2012 RAV4 since October. It would often come and go, and not appear for a month or two. It has occurred 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I usually would just erase the code,but i wanna see what this is. I am bringing it to my mechanic this week. I will let you guys know what they tell me. I did get a pending code P0138 but it went away. The car only has 50,000 miles.

10

hi All i have same issues i get engine management light comes as well as TRC, this was happens randomly Specially on Motor way reduce is the speed and cant go above 70mph, i took advice from the Toyota and they said it your Catalytic converter is blocked and you can clean i have to change it, it will cost £600. its special parts from Dealers ONLY, so Toyota played game. one thing i have learned is never by Toyota again. one thing to try is look at your Water supply bottle is it supplying water correctly cause this can cause engine to slow down while we have EM Lights on save the engine getting hot. ATUL

60

I have a 2007 and my check engine light, stability control light and 4 wheel drive light came on after driving it Saturday in a heavy rain storm parked it and didnt drive it till yesterday evening when the lights came any ideas to why....ty

10

Ernie, the same thing happened to me with my 2012 - heavy rain last night, and now the 4w, trac off and check engine lights are on. I was hoping they would turn off when things dried out, but no luck yet.

60

Have 2009 RAV...exact same lights...trac control, 4 wd, check engine light.........problem has been going on for almost 10 months....couldn't afford 600 dollars dealer wanted to fix it.....lights will go off for several weeks then come back on randomly......got following codes...C1201, C1241, P0137, P0138, P0607, 1280, 1241...................vehicle is running ok but have strange noise coming from underneath........got letter from Toyota regarding growl type noise from rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing.........have had Rav at shop 3 times and they deny the noise is coming rom the differential and refuse to change part ! Have kept driving it because it all I have but am ready to give up.......Toyota doesn't care. I have watched the lights on dash to see if there is any correlation between weather and their coming on but haven't been able to find any. sorry for writing a book but I am frustrated......had a corolla for over 100,000 miles then my daughter ran it to over 200,000 miles....it was great but this Rav has me ready to run from Toyota. Help...I really need the lights taken care of but cant put a lot of money into something nobody seems to be able to fix.

Same lights came on on my 2012 RAV4 V-6, 55k miles. Dealer says O2 sensor B2 S2. I just replaced it this morning with a Denso 234-4261 but the lights are still on. I'm hoping they go out after a few starts.

I have same problem in rainy day but 1 or 2 days after the problem was solved and the light were off. I think the problem related to sensor under the car when it was wet.

20

Mine came on after an Oil Change service. Did not notice when I left as it was sunny out and did not notice the lights on. Was hoping to resolve this myself instead of spending two hours taking it back....

20

Just had my 80,000 major service, 2012 Rav 4 and guess what lights are on for service and traction control

30

Had the same problem with my 2011 Rav 4, Was told to check my gas cap, did that and 50 miles later the light went off and didn't come back on

50

We bought our 2011 Rav4 new. The first winter, on the coldest night of the year, the same 3 lights came on. I disconnected the battery for a while and they were gone. The next winter the light came on again - again on the coldest night of the year. Happened once every year, when it was frigidly cold. Each time they stayed on until I disconnected the battery. Then it came on twice a year. Last winter it came on a few times, and it was not nearly as cold. Then it started coming on when we'd hit a bump so I knew I finally had enough consistency for someone to find the problem. Took it to Toyota and they said it was a sensor and replaced it. The lights were off for less than a week. So they replaced the "other" sensor. It lasted about 3 weeks. $600+ spent needlessly. Clearly they are just guessing. I told them up front it has to be a bad connection somewhere based on the problem starting when it was super cold, and progressing to less cold, and then to bumps. But customers' observations mean nothing. Going elsewhere to find a solution. Toyota mechanics seem to know nothing more about Toyotas than other, less expensive mechanics.

80

i have a 2011 with over 100K miles and experienced the same dash light issues (while driving in the rain). The Dealer re-set the code and now it is fine. They said my Code was a Camshaft something or other and that it can be caused by low oil, which I didn't have, or a small amount of dirt in the hydraulics.

10

I just got a 2010 Rav 4, the lights came on about a week later. My son is a mechanic and changed one of the sensors, the lights have since been off and on, especially after a heavy rain and now in the cold. He is Work I g on it now, code for a bad rear O2 sensor and he suspects a bad ECM. So glad I bought a good warranty with the car!

I have a 2011 RAV4 that has 95K miles on it and has been nearly problem free ... until now. I have the same lights on (Check Engine, TRAC, and 4WD) ... and am debating how to handle the issue. It sounds like Toyota is clueless or inconsistent or ambivalent or all of the above. I can't afford to spend a lot of money and time having them blindly chasing this problem and never solving it. My car is out of warrantee. I may try the dealer ... and insist they contact me before spending any money on repairs. Cold weather could be an issue here ... temps have been in the teens the past few nights with wind chills in the single digits. I had an issue a couple of years ago with visors breaking ... and found a similar thread online where lots of other people had the same problem. Toyota knew about it and refused to recall or replace. I had to pay out of pocket to replace them. If I get the same response here, maybe it's time to go Mazda or Nissan or Honda or something other than Toyota!? Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick!?

80

2006-2015 Toyota Rav4 Maint Req Indicator Light Reset: To turning off the Maintenance Light on 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 Toyota Rav4, conform to the following instructions: Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position, but do not start the engine If your car has START push-button , press the “Start” without touching the brake pedal. Press the odometer button (for 2006-2012 models), or DISP button (2013-2015) on steering wheel until you see “TRIP A” on the little screen Reset oil light toyota odo trip a Next, turn the ignition “off” Press and hold the Odometer / DISP button, and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position If your car has START push-button , press the “Start” twice without touching the brake pedal. Continue to hold down the Trip Odometer Reset button until “000000” MILES appears on the display and the maintenance light turns off. For more details, please watch the following video: This procedure should applies to the third generation of the Toyota Rav4 XA30 (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 models). Hopefully the article of 2006-2015 Toyota Rav4 Maint Req Indicator Light Reset usefull for you. Good Luck! https://seventrumpet.com/2006-2015-toyota-rav4-maint-req-indicator-light-reset/

80

also...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZtGpHf_tdA

30

I have the check engine, 4WD and traction control lights all come on during the following conditions: been driving car for over 30 minutes, temperatures below zero, speed approximately 40 mph and sudden acceleration. The lights came on and the car would not go over 20 mph after that. I was close to home so I drove the 2 blocks home. I always run non-ethanol gas in the car but just filled up about 50 miles ago. There is a possibility it was ethanol gas (price of gas led me to believe it was alcohol free). In the meantime I will clear the codes and see what happens next.

10

Bon....did that and is not helping at all....after doing so,alarms(mentioned indicators) are still reappearing.....

30

I had a friend come over with his code reader. My car was throwing a P2111. The throttle flap actuation (during the sudden acceleration) flipped open and knocked some debris loose. The debris would not allow the throttle flap to open and close properly. My friend cleaned the flap and cleared the codes. Car runs great now. Thanks everyone.

10

So,during last month(december)while driving all three lights-check engine,4WD light and the traction control light came on. Today went to see mechanic....he found following codes...C 1201 and P0201.... There is fault between injector#1 and ECU.However Im planing to switch #1 injector with #2 to find if it is problem with injectors or electronic...

10

My son has settled on a damaged ECM. Waiting to see if the extended warranty will cover it.

80

Hello Jen, At this point, if the Dealer is stumped, I would be asking the Dealer to replace the ECM like the previous entry did.

140

Definitely will bring this to their attention tomorrow. I plan on posting all updates on here in hopes to help others.

10

Low oil causes the light to come on.

10

When my Rav4 gets low in oil (oil below add line on dip stick) all three lights come on , check engine, 4WD light and the traction control light. When I top up the engine oil, the lights will not come on again until it runs low on oil again.

140

Okay ladies and gents I am happy to report this issue has been resolved on my vehicle. P0135 code, 02 Sensor, Bank 2 Sensor 2. Same code from the previous times. I had previously had the sensor changed (not by Toyota) and expressed my frustration to the Toyota dealership two days ago about changing it yet again. They somewhat assured me it would fix the problem but obviously cant make a guarantee. I left and within 20 minutes ( just like the last time) the CEL, 4wd and Trac lights came back on. I returned yesterday and this time P0136 code, Bank 2, sensor 1. I expressed frustration and reminded them ( I told you so!) Well they started digging, real deep. Apparently there was a Toyota Bulletin (not a recall) that stated that the sensor that is fine must be removed, the sensor that is bad replaced and then the sensor that was fine put back in or it will continue to kick the other sensor. Its almost like a hidden reset. Well, they were right. I drove about 2 hours since the repairs and the lights have not come back on.

80

Wow!, thanks for sharing Jennifer!

I have this problem in our 2011 RAV4 4 cylinder intermittently for several months now. Took it last week to the dealer who replaced the charcoal canister (about $2000 - covered by my extended warranty). Lights were off - until this morning. I'm going to tell him about the Bulletin Jennifer mentioned and see what they do.

I hAve the same problem. Just happened last monday when i was on my way to work. Check engine, traction off and 4wd lights are on and my car engine was making aweful sound. Brought it to our mechanic and it says P0022 was the problem... the mechanic said theres 4 sensors like that and hes gona try to replace one. Apparently cant tell which exact sensor is at fault ... hopefully my car will be fixed soon

20

Thank you, Jennifer, I'm going to ask my garage to try this - I've had this 4WD/Check Engine System/Traction Control issue intermittently for over a year on my 2010 RAV4 (I'm in the UK). I have the same experience of (a) occurring during wet weather (b) occurring when accelerating, (c) when reset it stays off for a while, but will then come back even months/weeks later. My Toyota dealership were great and took it up with 'central Toyota' who told them that it was my onboard computer (I guess the ECM - ?) being faulty which they said was going to cost over £1,000 to replace. My Toyota dealership wasn't convinced and balked at taking that amount of money from me for something that may still be wrong (bless them, they even pushed back on 'central Toyota' and said if this item had failed then really Toyota should be replacing it FOC because that shouldn't fail at this point. 'Toyota- HQ-Central's response was they absolutely were not funding this). My dealership has said they will investigate further but in the meantime it's 'safe to drive' - I'm not sure about this as the drive of the vehicle definitely changes when the lights come on! Will be very interested to talk to them about the bulletin. Thanks Jennifer! :o)

I have a 2012 Rav4 V6. I bought the vehicle used in November 2015. 2 weeks after I bought it the 3 lights came on, therefore it was under the 30 warranty. Toyota looked at the codes (all 14 of them!) And determine it was the Charcoal Canister leaking. So they replaced it.. All was well for about 1 year then the lights came on again. They had 2 year warranty on the canister (Thank God!). So they did some testing again, and replaced the Charcoal Canister again. Warrantly expired January 2017. In February 2017 the lights came back on. And I haven't taken it back to the shop since because I don't understand why these canisters are failing so much. I put a new gas cap on a long time ago thinking that was the issue, but no luck. I can't use my 4x4 and that's frustrating. Plus i just hate seeing these lights on my dash. I'm definitely going to look into the oxy sensor problem that others have had.

10

2010 rav 4 Check check check engine light came on four-wheel-drive light came on traction control lights all came on. All the while cruise control fails to operate. This is a safety issue. It seems many many many people are having this issue. Toyota needs to step up and take care of this problem. If I take it to a Toyota dealer after reading all these responses I am sure they are going to tell me it needs an oxygen sensor. I will pay a lot of money to have an oxygen sensor put in and then two weeks later all the lights will come back on again. Not sure what to do.

Bon tried the. Remedy you posted , but i did disconnect the battery for an hour trying your remedy ,after reconecting I did not check to see if things had changed but went straight into following your posting . The car now is back to normal . I am not sure which method worked or it was a combination of both but thank you ,if it should happen again I will not unhook the battery first ,then see what happens , once again thank you sir

10

I have the same problem with a 2010, when this happens it disable the cruise control and the all wheel drive ,has to be an electrical issue because it may go back to normal anytime I've been driving it for 4 months now since the last time

10

This is for a Toyota Rav4 2011 …. I followed Bon’s advice of disconnecting the battery …… It did work ….Thanks!!!!! I noticed that the gas cap was loose and this might have turned on the warning lights (Engine / Trac / 4WD). It seems that there is a glitch in the computer system and once it detects a problem (even small: loose gas cap) it doesn’t recognize that the problem has been fixed. Be careful with TOTOTA Dealer Shops …. they are a group of thugs ….. when I went there to enquire about the problem they automatically told me they needed to run a test that would cost me over one hundred dollars ….. they shouldn’t take advantage of small problems like his, specially when they know )or should know) this types of problems are requiring. Thanks again to everybody that posted their comments. Most comments did help me understand how to fix my problem. I saved me a lot of money.

30

Ended up getting the issue resolved. It was a faulty downstream O2 sensor on the car throwing a code

2011 Rav 4. I know a mechanic told me at Toyota that if the check engine light is ever blinking then it could be something serious and have it checked ASAP. I had lights come on before waited a few hours and it went away. Just today had a different 3 lights come on that is mentioned in this thread. I'm paying it no mind. Both times these lights have come on is in slushy cold weather. I would be careful though of Toyota service people I have been overcharged and I just don't trust them.

10

My 2012 Toyota RAV4 (58000miles) has the same problem. Three lights (engine, trac and 4WD) keep on. I went to autozone and got two different code: p0171 and P0137. Brought to a car garage and they asked for $90 for checking, and estimated $$$ - $$$$ for repairing. Helpless and do not know what to do.

HI all I have Toyota Rav 4 2011 In UK. my car was under warranty when I bought it as second hand, I started getting Lights on my das board warning light, check 4X4 system, traction, when am in town or on Motorway when I get those lights my car goes on Limp mode. which mean my car would not go more then 75 to 80 mph. i decide to take my car to local Toyota garage in Leicester, they dingoes and said it could be your EGR Valve. i said ok how much it will be> £299,I paid trusted Toyota two day later i get the same light back on. i went back to Toyota they said now it could be you DPF filter which will cost £900. i went MAD at them I said First you said EGR valve now you saying DPF filter what guaranty do you give out weather the fault will not come up again. THE ANS WAS: WE CANT SAY IT WILL NOT COME UP. I replied so Basically I might as well change the brand new engine, his face was dropped. so basically the diagnose they use it not worth it cause they don't know what they doing. i still have problems in my car. I will try and ask my garage to do what Jennifer advice and also unplug plug the Battery. see if that helps. writing all this am sure you can see how frustration I have been. thank you

I have 2007 engine light traction light all on took it to Toyota said oxygen sensor bad had put new one on 200+dollars it’s been three week lights back on . My last Toyota to.i only has 57,000 miles on it. Have a 1997 corolla it has almost 200,000no trouble at all. It came from japan.

I have a 2012 RAV4 with the same problem. Had the O2 sensor replaced, and replaced the gas cap, just to be sure. Lights continue to stay on. I've been dealing with this for about a year. Contacted Toyota who said they have no recall or bulletin on this issue. I'm very concerned since the 4 wheel drive and Traction lights come on as well as the check engine light. It seems a bit of a scam that the life saving features are disabled because of an 02 sensor, (which is already replaced). I would think that Toyota would stand behind this defect.

10

I also have a 2012 Toyota Rav4. Yesterday my Engine Light, 4 wheel drive and TRAC lights came on. It was not my gas cap. I checked my fluids and it turned out I was a half quart of oil low. Filled it up and immediately all of the lights turned off...I am a happy camper. Was going to go to Auto Zone for a diagnostic and now I don’t need to..

I just had check engine light 4x4 light come on and cruse control does not work after driving through some high water (curb level) will see how this plays out.

I don't have an answer! I have a 2009 Toyota Rav4 Limited 4wd. winter 2015 came home and drove in yard, driveway has slight incline! Started slipping and stopped to put in 4wd. Started moving and check engine light came on! Traction control light,4wd light too. Code P0138,CO2 sensor. Spinning wheels and sliding. Hit my truck left front wheel with my left rear wheel and Took off my left rear fender skirts. Took 1/2 hour to get up grade. Put in Bosch down stream o2 sensor. Lasted until next winter till I put car in 4wd again. Burned out sensor. Put in another sensor. P0138 code voltage high down stream O2 sensor. Put in another sensor.Burned out heater in sensor. Put in another sensor. Check engine light on and is still on.No sticker on Rav4 since 2015 until now. Had a new sticker 04/30/2018, Reject for emissions,30 day sticker. Got fine for no sticker. 55 dollars paid. I'm looking at front 02 sensor, air/fuel sensor, Has 2 02 sensors in it! Code if voltage as much as 1 volt high, for a high voltage P0138 code. Car runs great with a bad upstream air/fuel sensor. $169.99 and if any one can guess what is doing this to my great Rav4 with no 4wd and no traction control and Cruze control. Please let me know if there is any hope for me? Code on all the time! Im looking for short in wiring or bad ground now?

Marcsp@email.com- this is my story. How did my name turn into GuruWHL24?