how to fix wining noise coming from my front wheels?

Asked by May 12, 2015 at 08:07 PM about the Ford Mustang

my front wheels on my 1996 mustang are making an awful noise when I'm going straight
like metal to metal rubbing together but i have replaced brake pads and rotors and it still
made the noise. someone please help

Does the noise get louder as you speed up?

the noise doesn't happen when I'm turning though

yes it does get louder

I'm not fully sure on this but my car was doing the same thing except even when I turn. My car needs to be realigned but that caused me to need a wheel bearing and rotor which after replacing the wheel bearing the noise stopped. I'm not sure if that would help you or not?

Or maybe your calipers need to be replaced or are on too tight?

it does need an alignment but i can't tell which side the noise is coming from so how can i tell which bearing to replace?

no i just replaced the rotors today and i put the calipers on tight enough to know they won't fall off. but i didn't over tightened them because i tried to take it off again to make sure

I would just check and see both bearings and all and see if the bearing in either one looks odd compared to the other

Another way is does the car pull to one side?

its not a constant sound. when u let it roll down a hill it will make the noise then its almost like it won't make the noise again until the wheel gets to that one spot again like the rotors have a high spot on them

yes it pulls hard right because of alignment

but like i said it doesn't make any noise when I'm stopping or turning

Hmmmm. That is about all I got:/ my car pulls hard to the right also and makes a high wining sound. And that ended up being possibly a rotor and I had a destroyed bearing both on driver side. But if you already replaced the rotor then if it isn't the bearing or caliper I don't know what it could be:/. Sorry if this wasn't much help

236,765

Check the brake dust shields. One or both of them might be loose from the rusted fasteners, or they are bent enough to contact the back of the rotors. Reattach with new fasteners or bend out of the way.