Ceased Engine

35

Asked by Aug 09, 2010 at 10:46 PM about the Ford Mustang

ok my car has been sitting for like 10 years in a garage but b4 it was put away the engine only had 87,000 miles on it and it ran great do u think its ceased or will just a little cleaning get it going again?

425

It's a Ford. It will start if you clean out the old gas. Change the oil first.

5

Like the previous person said it should be fine if you change your oil and clean out the old fuel ....... but if your worried that it may be siezied, put the car in gear and rock backwards and forwards ..... this will lube all moving parts in your engine and will cause less wear and tear after not being started for a while :)

4,745

Change the oil and the oil filter before you start it again. Also check the air filter and make sure no pests have made any nests. If you are overly concerned about the top end of the engine, you can pull the spark plugs and put a small amount of oil in each cylinder and let it sit (some use marvels mystery oil or slick 50, regular motor oil will do the job). Turn off the fuel to the engine and turn it over a couple times, some oil may shoot out of the holes so stay clear. Put the plugs back in and turn the car over a few more times in 5 second or so intervals... this will get your oil pressure built up without starting the engine. Hook up your fuel and then try starting it. Should fire up after a few cranks.

Use marvel. Slick 50 contains chlorinated parafins which become acidic when exposed to heat and compression

one thing that has worked for us at the shop on ceased up engines is pull the spark plugs out and spray a good amount of W-D 40 into the cylenders let them soake for a while,repete this 2 or 3 times,take a breaker bar on crank bolt and push pull the crank shafe very careful to break the engine loose,do not try to crank it bump it over a few times,change oil & filter,bump engine over a few more times,dont know year modle,if it has a coil unplug it spin the engine over to get oil pump primed and pump oil to cylenders,then crank it,it will probley smoke and run rought for a few minutes then smooth out,make sure you install new plugs ,wires and fresh gas befor trying to start,you will also need to flush colling system,and check the freeze plugs for rust.

5

use a wrench w /socket to turn engine over- it the front in crankshaft pully-- after oiling up cylinders--- do not USE STARTER AS U WILL ONLY BURN IT UP---I HAVE DONE MANY LIKE THIS--let it soak over nite-- u must pull spark plugs out to do this--leave them out