Getting started

Asked by May 11, 2009 at 07:39 PM about the Ford Mustang

I know a lot of know a hell of a lot about cars, but i don't. I wanna learn though, so i was just wondering how you guys got started and learned everything you know...

165

Read everything that you can get your hands on, whether it be books, magazines or on the net. Which generation of Mustangs are you interested in learning about?

okay thanks. and the 60's and the modern ones

Are the older ones easier to understand?

7,775

I'll tell you this much, I got into cars growing up in the family I did. I worked in a shop part-time through high school and then started school to get a degree in mechanical engineering... later switched majors but that's another story... Truth is though I learned more in a couple months working with the Formula SAE guys here than I had cumulatively learned from experience or books upto then. It's frankly the best way to learn, by designing and building a race car from the ground up. I actually ended up at the school I did because of the FSAE team here. If you want to learn about cars, try and find a school with a strong FSAE team that emphasizes on design.

thanks dude

165

The older ones are easier to work on, there aren't any computers or sensors. As long as you have a basic knowledge of how an engine works, you should be able to trouble shoot most problems. The newer ones are more reliable because of the EFI but you would need a scanner to diagnose a lot of problems and not every DIY'er has the money in their budget to get one. Personally, I prefer the 1st generation Mustangs, I have '67 coupe with a 289ci and I love it. Sure, it doesn't handle or stop like the new ones but it's a blast to drive!

cool

like everyone else on here apperantly..grew up around it..the easiest way is like he said read and get ur hands dirty... lol i suggest u go tear apart a lawn mower and try an put it back together..I say that beacuse its a basic I.C.E (internal combustion engine) and its alot like older cars..no computers or sencors to scan...older cars are much much easier to fix